Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
It tells you on the face of the meter, the higher the number the bigger coins. Most silver coins will come in a little higher than their clad counterparts. I.E. If a clad quarter is VDI 83 a silver quarter maybe VDI 86. Dimes come in around 75-80, halves should be 88-92, dollars 90-94( I'm guessing). You get the point though. Gold is the unknown for sure, it could come in about anywhere because of what its alloyed with. Most common stuff should come in the nickel/pull tab range. Good luck!!!!

Do some experiments with stuff you have to see and remember those numbers.

Greg

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Silver dollar ------94
Silver half -------92
Silver quarter ----86
Silver dime -------80

Keep in mind these are strong signals and can vary a little but not much. Deep silver coins like anything can come in weaker. As far VDI's 80 and up, your always thinking silver! :thumbsup:

Gold, well gold is pretty much all over the low board from 0 on a small thin bracelet to 35 on a mans large wedding band. That's why I don't find much gold. I loose my dig it all mentality after about an hour hunting unless I am on an old site.

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldcoins.jpg

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
TooManyHobbies,

I don't have an XLT, but I do have the Eagle II SL 90 and the Eagle Spectrum.
I don't recall the vdi numbers for gold rings, but here is something that you might want to try.

Take three nickles, stack them one on top of the other, then tape them together with scotch tape.
These test nickles will give you the same reading as some gold rings and gold coins ;D :thumbsup:

TW

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you gentlemen, I'll occasionally get a high reading, but then lose it when I sweep back to it.

Nice coins Schrecky. That's kinda, sorta, what I'm looking for. ;D But a ring would do for now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread