My 1st attempt at electrolysis

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
This isn't anything "new", as I got the idea(s) for this right on this forum (Floaters being one of them). What I wanted to say was that for anyone who hasn't tried this, you really should give it a try.

Again, I'll start by stating I'm new to this hobby (MD & coins), so this is all a new experience for me. If anyone here feels intimadated by this, don't be. I've got about $7 in the "bucket" I just made. My power supply is the 110v adapter from an old walkman, which has an output of 600ma (under the 1 amp reccommended on this forum).

Below is how I rigged-up the hanger-clips. I stripped the wires out of a piece of #12 romex (house wiring)/ The piece spanning the bucket is the bare ground. I cut the insulated pieces of wire, and stripped 2" of the insulation from the center of the piece, and wrapped it tightly around the bare wire. I then got some copper alligator clips (with smooth jaws instead of teeth) and soldered them onto the end of the "drop-wires". I wanted to try it before I soldered the "wraps" of the hanger-wires to the main wire.

Also, I can add a couple more of these, and clean nearly 24 coins at a time if need be. I can simply add jumper-wires to connect them all together.
elebkt1.jpg

You can see the stainless bolt, with a rubber washer & flat washer on both sides. I added alittle silicone sealer for good measure. I removed the end from the walkman adapter, and added alligator clips to the wires.
elebkt2.jpg

I put 6 EXTREMELY cruddy, caked-up, green pennies in it at 2:00 this afternoon. By 9:00PM, I had to change the water/salt mix, as it was so cruddy, and they're still in the bucket. I didn't believe all the crud that was in the bucket when I emptied it :o

I could actually set & watch the crud "fizzing-off" the coins in chunks. I was suprised at how well this seems to work.
elebkt3.jpg

I just wanted to post this in order to let those of you who haven't tried this, to do so. I'd have never guessed it worked so well without seeing it firsthand.

Smitty

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Show us how they came out on your first try.I'm curious ;D

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Hill Billy said:
Show us how they came out on your first try.I'm curious ;D

Will do. Not sure if you can see in the pics, but the pennies were all green, and some had a (concrete like) crust caked-onto them a good 1/16th-3/32nds of an inch thick. I wish I'd have taken some "before" pics.

The electrolysis removed all the green, and most of the crust after a couple days. I'm soaking them in vinegar which removed alittle more, but i doubt it'll get 100%. I'm just experimenting more than anything.

The coins I'm using have no value, and from all I've read I wouldn't attempt cleaning any of value outside of soaking in distilled water to remove any loose dirt.

Smitty

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
I thought the clips were not supposed to touch the water? Or have I got that all wrong?
Baggins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions