My 1st Detector & 2 days of finds !

y4ng

Dec 23, 2008
My 1st Detector & 2 days of finds !

Hello guys, finally got my detector off ebay. Its a 2nd hand BH land star detector. It flew half way round the globe from New York all the way over here to Singapore (south of malaysian peninsular).

Was so excited about it that I couldn't sleep for 2 nights. So after collecting my detector from the post office and going to my driving lesson with it, I finally got my turn to hunt for hidden items.

Went to a park near my home and tried to figure out the different knobs and adjustments on the detector. Read the instructional manual but doesnt seems to help -.-"
So I tried by using the all metal, disc and notch mode and run it through a coin. Seems that it will sound off like on those videos on youtube in the disc and notch mode.

Began by sweeping it around the fitness corner 'monkey bar'. Got a sound off and it was saying 6 inches and is an iron object. So i begin to dig all the way down and found a construction used 10 inch iron bar. Covered it back and start scanning around. Found other objects too. As this was my first time, I dig everything that sound off. Ended up with a key and a few other old metal objects. Well they all sound off in the med tone so i dig them out ;D

Got curious onlookers looking at me as well. As metal detecting is totally unknown here, they thought i'm some people sent by government agency to search for things. HAHA. So i just explain to them that i got it for my own use.

My first notable find was a $1 coin hidden under some grass at the 'sit up' station. Next was a 10 cent coin on the other side of the 'sit up' station. Then I decided to go home as there were more and more people exercising in the park. Don't want my picture to be taken and having it appear on the internet.

Next day, got my curious friend to come with me. Went to another park. First we tried sweeping around the table right in the middle of the field where soccer players would put their belongings and rest. There were too much trash in the round. Dug up bottle caps, pull tabs etc...nothing good.

So we went over to the fitness corner with sandy ground. Pulled out a 50 cents coin minted in 2007 and another badly corroded item which seems to be a 10 cent coin. Dug up alot of trash too! Crushed aluminum cans sounded off at med and high tone. So that made me more confused about the settings of the machine.

Then as I was sitting down and resting, I spotted a silver earring. Non detecting find..cool huh!

- pull tabs - med tone
- cans - med or high tone
- coins over here - med or high tone
- iron - low tone
- some which appears to be a cluster of melted aluminum - med
- item with chrome plating - high tone
- stainless steel keys - med

I got a question here. When the detector coil goes near those metallic structure, they would sound off. So how do I address to this problem? There seems to be quite good potential to get some stuff below metal structures in the playground but get false alarms often. Thanks alot!

Here's the value of the currency here with comparison to living standards here.
6 can of Carlsberg beer around S$14 or USD$9.40

Cheers!

Attachments

• coin.JPG
    coin.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 247

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
Re: My 1st Detector & 2 days of finds !

Nice job y4ng..
Do they speak English there in Singapore?
Hope you have more time there.
Would like to see more posts,
maybe pictures of the area.
Thanks
Bill

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Congrats on the finds. In answer to your question, my detector has a small coil that i use for getting near metal structures. Not sure if you can get one for yours or not. I use and ACE 250

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congs on your finds....Matt

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Congrats on getting the th'ing started! As far as the metal structures go, patience and experience will tell you just how close you can get to them. If you have one of those fitness-oriented playgrounds like some of the parks here, hit the parallel bars, they have the best returns.

Remember that as you near the metal supports or other structural objects, make sure your coil is slightly angled away from them. This will get you a little closer. But of course they're always gonna give you some trouble. Where we have woodchips in playgrounds here, I will rake those away from the posts to as deep as I feel comfortable digging once a year, search them then level them back out around the posts or under the steps/climbing apparatus. This does yield an occasional coin or jewelry item.

Happy hunting!

OP
OP
y4ng

y4ng

Dec 23, 2008

ParkHunter61 said:
Nice job y4ng..
Do they speak English there in Singapore?
Hope you have more time there.
Would like to see more posts,
maybe pictures of the area.
Thanks
Bill

Hi there. We do speak english here.
In fact most people here speak english.
This is because we were under the British from 1819 till around 1960. The laws and education and many other public system were built on the foundations laid during the British rule.
For us younger generations, those below 40yrs old, most of us can speak english and our mother tongue language. At the end of our high school, we all have to take the UK Cambridge O levels examination and all our papers will be shipped to UK to be marked. So if you happen to be here, there would be no problem communicating.

Oh yeah, on tuesday night I probably would be going to a beach to do detecting the whole night. That place is pretty popular among the young people and tourist here. They hold all sorts of beach games and competition there. Very huge potential for some nice finds ;D

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

Imagine, the whole place virgin territory! Got a feeling as you learn that detector you are going to make some great finds. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread