My 1st GOLD ring!

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
I’ve been detecting for about 3.5 years now. I bought a vehicle off a elder gentlemen couple weeks ago & he gave me permission to hunt his property. He has only lived there a few years so he did it know much about the place. Super nice guy!
Decided to go later in the evening to let it cool down a bit. As always there was lots of iron so I set the legend in pitch tones. I don’t like the sound of pitch rather then 60
Tones, but it is much better in heavy iron.

Anyway, I wasn't getting much then got a 25-26 VDI & you could tell it was deep & pinpointed tight so I honestly thought I could get lucky & get a Buffalo nickel. Is was so deep a ring never crossed my mind.

I dug a full shovel head deep & wasn’t in the plug so got my pinpointer out & took a took a fairly large scoop out with my hand digger. Then I instantly seen a ring so stopped & did a video a took some pics of it!
My favorite part is that it’s old from early 1900’s & not a new tot lot find. Which I would love to find one in a tot lot also.
The inside of band is worn.

Just the story behind it was kinda cool Idk

The last 4 photos of the same ring that’s on eBay. I was just trying to find one like it. No, I will never sell it. Mine weighed 3.2 Grams. Must of been a larger size?

I’ve got buckets of pull tabs to prove my effort to find a gold ring….lol.

Beyond Excited!

Attachments

• IMG_4437.jpeg
    IMG_4437.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4438.jpeg
    IMG_4438.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4440.jpeg
    IMG_4440.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_4445.jpeg
    IMG_4445.jpeg
    946 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4447.jpeg
    IMG_4447.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4453.jpeg
    IMG_4453.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4451.png
    IMG_4451.png
    392.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4448.png
    IMG_4448.png
    765.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4452.jpeg
    IMG_4452.jpeg
    918.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4450.png
    IMG_4450.png
    527.7 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 58

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gofish73

Aug 30, 2023
I’ve been detecting for about 3.5 years now. I bought a vehicle off a elder gentlemen couple weeks ago & he gave me permission to hunt his property. He has only lived there a few years so he did it know much about the place. Super nice guy!
Decided to go later in the evening to let it cool down a bit. As always there was lots of iron so I set the legend in pitch tones. I don’t like the sound of pitch rather then 60
Anyway, I wasn't getting much then got a 25-26 VDI & you could tell it was deep & pinpointed tight so I honestly thought I could get lucky & get a Buffalo nickel. Is was so deep a ring never crossed my mind.
I dug a full shovel head deep & wasn’t in the plug so got my pinpointer out & took a took a fairly large scoop out with my hand digger. Then I instantly seen a ring so stopped & did a video a took some pics of it!
My favorite part is that it’s old from early 1900’s & not a new tot lot find. Which I would love to find one in a tot lot also.
The last 4 photos of the same ring that’s on eBay. I was just trying to find one like it. No, I will never sell it. Mine weighed 3.2 Grams. Must of been a larger size?
Beyond Excited!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beyond Excited!
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on your first gold ring!

I don't think there's anything I'd rather find than old jewelry, it's so personal. That is one of the nicest looking bands I've seen.

I sometimes question myself when I come home with a pile of pulltabs, but every now and then...Bingo!

OP
OP
K

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
Excellant find!
Im still hoping to find one of those, so far only plated ones.
Just don’t stop digging mid tones. I’m still excited! Mid tones are very boring because 99% is going to be trash, but after 10,000 pieces of foil, aluminum clipping/can slaw & pull tabs it finally payed off….lol.

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Beyond Excited!
Nice find and a nice first. Still looking for mine but I do have a nice pull tab collection 😂

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's been some discussion in this thread about the age of the ring. The Keepsake brand was founded in 1930. In my line of work, I've worked on thousands on Keepsake brand rings and have seen various changes in the logo. I believe this particular logo was in use during the 1950s and 60's. The style of the ring is almost identical to my Dad's wedding band and my parents were married in 1950

OP
OP
K

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
There's been some discussion in this thread about the age of the ring. The Keepsake brand was founded in 1930. In my line of work, I've worked on thousands on Keepsake brand rings and have seen various changes in the logo. I believe this particular logo was in use during the 1950s and 60's. The style of the ring is almost identical to my Dad's wedding band and my parents were married in 1950
Good to know. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
K

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
So you would say mid 50’s possibly 60’s you think?
I obviously…lol don’t know much about the ages of rings. I was just going by the little research I’ve done.
I truly appreciate the info.
I’m not going to sell it. How hard would it be to get resized without showing any damage? Thinking about giving it to my daughter one day.
I had to have my wedding band resized twice & the last time it was way to small
& had to have it cut off.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ask the elderly gentleman if he ever lost his wedding ring? If he is or has been married. Obviously have to be careful how you ask him. Don’t tell him you found one yet. Just ask if he every lost any thing on the property that you should be on the lookout for. Personal items, jewelry, etc.. It would be so nice of you to return it, if it is his. But you don’t want to hand it over to him if he didn’t loose it, If the deal with the permission was you get to keep everything.
But just imagine what that would mean to him, if he did loose it. You will feel good about yourself. And you will get any permissions to be had in that neighborhood. After the old man is done singing your praises.
Either way, congrats on your first precious.
Great advice!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beyond Excited!
Congrats!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you would say mid 50’s possibly 60’s you think?
I obviously…lol don’t know much about the ages of rings. I was just going by the little research I’ve done.
I truly appreciate the info.
I’m not going to sell it. How hard would it be to get resized without showing any damage? Thinking about giving it to my daughter one day.
I had to have my wedding band resized twice & the last time it was way to small
& had to have it cut off.

I'll send you a PM

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beyond Excited!
What a great find. Love the pictures. Good job and congratulations. More to come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread