My 1st Large Cent - 1817 with Altered ONE C*NT Font

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C13938DB-5B94-43EF-BAD8-13D7360D139B.jpeg 7450CCAA-30A2-45DC-9609-3857166854E3.jpeg Well I found my first Large Cent at My Grandfathers yard in South Georgia. Rang up really nice, 4โ€ in the ground. I was very excited, then I noticed the text has been altered with ONE ****. Apparently dirty minds have been around for a long time! Has anybody else ever dug one of these? Please tell me the history on these alterations.

Upvote 40

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1885726 View attachment 1885727 Well I found my first Large Cent at My Grandfathers yard in South Georgia. Rang up really nice, 4โ€ in the ground. I was very excited, then I noticed the text has been altered with ONE ****. Apparently dirty minds have been around for a long time! Has anybody else ever dug one of these? Please tell me the history on these alterations.

I've heard about these altered coins - pretty cool find!

vp

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's an awesome first large cent

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David680, You made a very valid point!

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Congrats on your first Large Cent. It looks in great shape!!! I too found one altered and my daughter was with me. Thankfully she was 17 at the time and we both had a good laugh[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If "it" only cost that much now......really a cool find.

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course GaRebel1861 Lol

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anybody in our group of hunters here in SW Georgia was going to find that type coin, it would be you! Great find my friend.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one on an old farm several years ago. When I saw the back I thought it was some foreign coin at first. This is the info I found when I searched the web.

โ€œ This is a well known alteration done outside the Mint as a scatological joke. The technique involves the use of a tool called a โ€œgraverโ€, that is used to โ€œchaseโ€ the metal in the lettering into the desired shape. The metal is moved around by the tool to alter the โ€œEโ€ into a โ€œUโ€. The word โ€œOneโ€ is usually not alteredโ€

So Iโ€™m not sure if it was a joke or a brothel token, but either way it is an unusual find. Congratulations, stay safe and keep swingin.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one on an old farm several years ago. When I saw the back I thought it was some foreign coin at first. This is the info I found when I searched the web.

โ€œ This is a well known alteration done outside the Mint as a scatological joke. The technique involves the use of a tool called a โ€œgraverโ€, that is used to โ€œchaseโ€ the metal in the lettering into the desired shape. The metal is moved around by the tool to alter the โ€œEโ€ into a โ€œUโ€. The word โ€œOneโ€ is usually not alteredโ€

So Iโ€™m not sure if it was a joke or a brothel token, but either way it is an unusual find. Congratulations, stay safe and keep swingin.

I've seen a few of these posted over the years. I'd always thought they were cut with a die that way as a "hard times token" (no pun intended on the "hard" part :laughing7:). If there is indeed a tool to do this my inclination is to believe it may have been done by teenage boys for fun and maybe for profit to sell them to their friends or even more likely there was a cottage industry that did this for profit selling them as a novelty (turn one cent into 25 cents or more, not a bad ROI) I've only seen the "alteration" to LCs and never to IHCs though and it always looks very professionally done. I'd imagine a teenager trying out a graver tool would screw up quite a few LCs before getting it right and we don't really see *any* screwed up alterations of this type. I'm with David680--despite it being on that site I don't buy the brothel story either, just a novelty.

So IDK, does anyone here have a graver tool and can actually do this?

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done a lot of metal engraving but have never tried that. Got a LC I can practice on?:laughing7: Here's a couple of my tools. Hand gravers and a chisel and hammer. Also a Browning .22 I engraved. Gary

DSC05167.JPG DSC05168.JPG DSC05169.JPG wm_1371091.jpg

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done a lot of metal engraving but have never tried that. Got a LC I can practice on?:laughing7: Here's a couple of my tools. Hand gravers and a chisel and hammer. Also a Browning .22 I engraved. Gary

You are quite a talented artisan Gary! Very, very fine work there! Impressive. :occasion14:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mildetector, I compared it to another Large Cent I bought, same size, same weight even rings up the same!

Yes, because it is a genuine large cent. The E has been removed and the metal "chased" to form a new letter. I have found several at CW sites - but not as old as this one and with the modification not as skillfully done as your's.

When large cents were replaced by the flying eagle cent in 1857, the obverse of those coins was also modified by folks with too much time on their hands from a flying eagle to a *****. I've found those too. "Find anything?" "Yeah, I got a flying ***** over there".

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I've been censored on tnet for using the correct anatomical term. Let's try "male organ" for that p word.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, because it is a genuine large cent. The E has been removed and the metal "chased" to form a new letter. I have found several at CW sites - but not as old as this one and with the modification not as skillfully done as your's.

When large cents were replaced by the flying eagle cent in 1857, the obverse of those coins was also modified by folks with too much time on their hands from a flying eagle to a *****. I've found those too. "Find anything?" "Yeah, I got a flying ***** over there".

Post a picture of that coin?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon, That is really interesting! If you come across that coin I would love to see it feel free to private message me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions