My 1st silver 1943 Merc

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
I found my 1st silver at a new site I found via Google Maps. A solid dime signal at 8" down (Ace 350)

I finally broke down and bought a real digging tool. The ground Shark, it makes a world of difference and diggin deep targets is easy

The group of coins I found, are left overs from a local hunt club. They were fun to find and learn my machine better. But being planted isn't the same as a "real" find

Thanks for lookin

Attachments

• image-3969110096.jpg
    image-3969110096.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1334262933.jpg
    image-1334262933.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-855414164.jpg
    image-855414164.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 2

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool Man!!...Even if the others were from a club hunt...you still got some goodies.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver coins ...congrats !:icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'The group of coins I found, are left overs from a local hunt club. They were fun to find and learn my machine better. But being planted isn't the same as a "real" find'

I know what you mean, thats why I wonder why it happens at all? When we pay for a Rally in the UK, it is normally advertised (not always true) that it's virgin ground & all finds are natural. Sometimes they plant tokens & they could win you a prize, but no-one cares about them. (unless they win the top prize detector)
I guess the answer will be because we have loads of history & maybe in the areas you do this activity there is none?

AgIA

Oct 5, 2012
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats - that's a good lookin first silver!

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice,Thanks for sharing!!!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tin finder

Greenie
May 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excitement grows!
Hey, I started out with a Garrett 250 and was rough-goin, brought to witts' end. A brother gave me an XLT and now while finding Mercs is fun & exciting, I'll bet I've found 40 here in Springfield, IL in the past year. 9 halves, including 4 walking lib. (1st 2 from 1920) and 5 Barber QTRS, 2 Seat. Lib dimes, and an 1854o Seat. Lib half... I'm dying to know when, if ever, I'll find a trove-cache. About 7 months ago I was crying to my bro wondering when I'll get my 1st day of a buck's worth of silver (face value) and man...the next day:$1.30!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver coin! I think mine was a 43' or 44' Merc too. You'll probably never forget the feeling of seeing that first silver coin come out of the dirt :icon_thumleft:

ALL AMERICAN

Nov 13, 2011
south central, ky
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snagged my first silver today with my ace 350 today also. Only took about a year but im finally getting some better locations to hunt. My first was a 1944 nickel. Not a great first but I'll take it. Good job!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't remember my first silver but I do remember my first mercury dime. Yours is great. Many more to follow.

@crusader, yes a lot of clubs do seeded hunts in the US. It has everything to do with a lack of old sites. The UK is covered with history, the US, not so much. Another reason for the seeded hunts is to give the new folks a boost of confidence. Most of us forget that beginners are fascinated by metal detectors, so this is a way to introduce the hobby to them. I am in a club with a group of advanced detectorists and a seeded hunt is out of the question. We go on organized digs to significant sites, much like what you probably do in the UK.

CREEKGEEK

Oct 18, 2012
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That exact coin was my first silver too and that was about a week ago

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember my first silver but I do remember my first mercury dime. Yours is great. Many more to follow.

@crusader, yes a lot of clubs do seeded hunts in the US. It has everything to do with a lack of old sites. The UK is covered with history, the US, not so much. Another reason for the seeded hunts is to give the new folks a boost of confidence. Most of us forget that beginners are fascinated by metal detectors, so this is a way to introduce the hobby to them. I am in a club with a group of advanced detectorists and a seeded hunt is out of the question. We go on organized digs to significant sites, much like what you probably do in the UK.

that explains it, cheers

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver! I went completely bonkers my first 10yrs and knocked on any door of a house that even looked old! More than 90% of the time I was given the go ahead. A lot depends on your approach and presentation of yourself!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread