My 1st silver coin!!!

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Last night we (LQ & I) counted up all our tumbled clad minus the pennies, all Quarters, Dimes & nickels we've dug up in 5 months................almost 1200 coins, $155! I figure Ive dug at least that many pennies, I dump those in a jar with my pocket change so I'll never know how many Ive dug. You would figure I'd dug up at least one silver coin with these numbers, right? Wrong! So I went to the coin shop today & spent $50 of clad on silver coins, bunch of WL halves, couple Franklin halves, some SLQ's & I guess the silver rubbed off on me. I dug my 1st silver coin tonight, a 1942D war nickel at 8 inches in the oldest park in town! As soon as I pulled it out I knew it was silver, nice & shiney..........even new nickels I dig are dark red! Also dug a 1946 wheatie at 8 inches plus, only my 5th in 5 months! Other thing in pic is a fishing lure/spoon, kinda cool. It was a great night tonight, diggin under a SILVERY moon! ;D

Attachments

• 5 months of clad 8-17-06.jpg
    5 months of clad 8-17-06.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 688
  • 1st silver coin!.jpg
    1st silver coin!.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 688
Upvote 0

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Big congrats AP, the first one is the toughest, more will come, one after another, until you'll lose count. ;)

Sounds like you need to rub more silver on yourself before you go out to hunt, who knows what might turn up...

HH

JW

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALRIGHT AP WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,HAPPY SILVER FRIDAY,GREAT WAY 2 START THE WEEKEND

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are in the same boat that I am. The silver is just not coming. I have to silver rosies under my belt.

The way I look at we will find a ton of silver. It will just all be in a big box 7 inches underground. Thousands and Thousands of coins in the box.

Yes I live in a fantasy world.

Congrats!

Eric

OP
OP
Mighty AP

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I see all the silver everybody back east digs & it boggles my mind that I cant seem to find it. Ive got a nice, capable detector, Ive learned my machine well, Im quite proficient at diggin clad & rings, just couldnt figure it out. I met a guy detecting at a park last night & he told me he has found very few silver coins in the parks over 10 years of detecting because he said they have been hit very hard over the years. Most of the silver he has found has been in peoples yards. So I spoke to the lady across the street last night & will hunt her yard tomorrow, if I find cool stuff like I have in my yard I will be convinced to leave the local parks alone & start rethinking my strategies. I'll let y'all know how I do!
I like your fantasy world Eric, I hope you are right! ;D

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi a.p wtg and congrats on your finds and all best of luck for the rest of the weekend.

tinpan

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Great story Mighty Man! A pleasurable read.
COngrats big time on your first silver coin dig.
It's the first of many many more I am sure,
because you have a great attitude and work hard,
$155 in clad in a pile.

Best of luck out there my friend,
go get some more goodies! A nice Merc next maybe.

Smiles!
BDoo

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
condgrads on the silver! I think you will find peoples yards to be better (in general anyways) You will still run into yards that have been hunted to death but not like the parks. Once you find an old house with a "virgin" yard you will be hooked for sure! :)

R

rvbvetter

Congrats on the silver and wheat!! I dunno, but that sounds like a park worth revisiting. They may be deep, but it sounds like their still down there waiting for you to let them see the light of day once more. So don't let them down. WTG!!! HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats AP and a great way to spend clad! HH, Mike

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
nice nickel AP! silver is tough to find for me too, but now that you have your first, more should be on the way soon! ;) congrats!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I & start rethinking my strategies.

hi a.p your not thinking about jumping fences are you in the middle of the night lol

;D ;D ;Dtinpan ;D ;D ;D

BobG

Oct 28, 2005
I've been hunting about as long as you, AP. Guess I've been rubbing the wrong thing. I'll try some silver :o

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI HO SILVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Wow! You're the king of clad.Investing it in silver is a good idea although I know it's just not the same as digging your own.You finally have a start with that silver nickel.Some yard hunts or other researched sites should put you on the path to recovering those elusive silver coins. Best of luck to you and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread