My 1st Standing Liberty Quarter (No Date)

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sunday May 10th, Mothers day 2015 I went detecting at an old school, found very few coins and even in early spring for some reason the field was already hard as rock but I spied an old concrete stair case going up the side of the hill and decided to detect along it, starting on the left side working my way up I got to only the 3rd step before I got a good signal, only 5 inches down but it was pretty iffy signal, sometimes a solid coin signal and other times it was very mixed with iron and not stable but after going over it longer than necessary I decided to dig, I had trouble locating the target at first so I rescanned the hole and got a nice quarter signal, telling myself to not get excited because it was probably just a clad quarter as I was getting 11 and 12:47 signals with the occasional 13:47 which usually indicates silver, I finally popped up the coin and saw the silver edge of a quarter, right away I felt my excitement level go up as I could tell this quarter was different, even though I could only see about ÂĽ (no pun intended!) of it due to the dirt on it, I thought standing liberty quarter!!!
I didn’t want to rub it so I finally got some water and rinsed it off and sure enough it was a no date standing liberty quarter, my very 1st so I was thrilled to have found this coin! To me it was like finding a real treasure! So far in my 2 years of detecting I’ve only found 2 barber dimes that are my oldest coins and 30 or so other silver coins, Mercs, Washington’s, no halves or dollar silver coins yet so this hunt made my day!! I’ll be going back to that spot soon!
Being that I am on the West coast, in the Portland Oregon area I do not find the OLD beautiful silver coins that are much more common back East and in other parts of the country, and the silver coins I do find are HARD to come by, so I don’t post as often as many others do here, my finds just aren’t that exciting, but this one was very exciting for me so I thought I would share it! This year I have only found 4 silver coins so far, I took a couple month break between February and the beginning of May, looks like it paid off!

20150510_153519_resized_2.jpg 20150510_153533_resized_2.jpg

Upvote 13

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first SLQ. Dated or not, they're a nice find.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first SLQ!! With or without a date, IMHO they are the most beautifully designed coin ever made. I collect that series and love to see them posted. Being out west, hopefuly you'll find a 1919 or 1923 with an S mint! Good luck and continued success to you!

-- Jeff --

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. I found only one of those with no date at the river back in 2012.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my 1st SLQ in 15 years a few months ago 1925 ,only worth about 5-6 Dollars more than a Dateless one but I would not take $100 for it.
Saw that Eagle on the Back and said YES!!!!

P.S. Your tied with me on Barber Dimes.

I feel your excitement.
Davers

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the feeling. I am elated to find a property dating before the 1900s. The majority of the places I detect are only from the 1920s-40s.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my favorite looking coins . Congratulations on your first of hopefully many more . I only dug one last year and so far this year I havent seen one pop out of the ground . But I have dug two barber quarters which I would trade in a second to have dug two more SLQs

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling a SLQ. Nice find. :occasion14: That is still on my bucket list.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats !!!

I just can't find one..*sigh*

todays the day !!! (it could happen.)(bucket list coin for alot of us diggers.)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember finding my first one. I saw the eagle on the back first and didn't know what it was at first. Then realized it was an SLQ and got excited and I knew they were hard to find. A few weeks later I got another in the same park. Display it well and cherish it--it's a great find and you will always remember your first SLQ. Oddly enough it took me much longer to find my first Barber quarter...got a Seated Q way before that!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love them slqs, congrats on getting your first!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first SLQ!!

Get in line for one with a date. Lol I've got 4 and none have a date. That's alright though, I think the SLQ's have one of the nicer designs. Any SLQ is a Sweet find!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hate to echo, but they really are a beautiful coin. Hang onto it tightly...they are slippery Devils, lol.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember finding my first one. I saw the eagle on the back first and didn't know what it was at first. Then realized it was an SLQ and got excited and I knew they were hard to find. A few weeks later I got another in the same park. Display it well and cherish it--it's a great find and you will always remember your first SLQ. Oddly enough it took me much longer to find my first Barber quarter...got a Seated Q way before that!

No Barber or Seated Quarters for me yet.. Def, on the list before the Gig in the Sky. "G.I.S."
Davers

OP
OP
McClod

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for replying and sharing in my excitement! I know, its "just a silly quarter" but it was a HUGE find for this old kid hahahah!!! Any silver coin I can find is very exciting for me, and to be honest, I hadn't ever really thought about finding a SLQ, I HAVE thought of finding a Barber quarter because I LOVE that big bold eagle on the back of the Barber quarters, and I loved finding my 2 barber dimes! They're just not easy to find in my area, so when I realized from the front it was a SLQ, well, I felt that same excitement all of you felt, and when I saw that BIG eagle on the back of the SLQ, man I kept taking it out of my pocket to look at it! Its worn, and dateless, but to be honest I'd never even hoped to find one of those! I hope to find one with a date sometime, like all of us but who knows what we'll find next! A Walking Liberty Half dollar is MY dream coin, but the SLQ is too and as some of you have mentioned, I too consider it one of the most beautiful coins ever minted by the US Mint!

So thanks to all for your great comments! And for those of you that have not found one yet, KEEP SEARCHING! If I can find one, so can you, and I've never had much going for me in the "luck" department! But we never know when that can change! So good luck to all of you and may you all find your bucket list finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread