My 2-cents

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I have been waiting to get on this piece of property for a few months now. It is the site of an old house. All that is left is the footing and you need to be standing right on top of it to even see where it was. How I came across this site is just luck.
I was doing some research on a long gone school house and was trying to obtain permission for the property that it was supposed to be on. A nearby land owner told me that the property was theirs and I could go ahead and hunt it. This house they were at was their weekend house and just happened to be their doing some lawn mowing and stuff. They then told me that there use to be an old house that sat in what is now their side yard. They said I could hunt it also. I then told them that it was way to dry for me to be digging in anybodies yard. I asked if I could call them sometime to come back and hunt it when it has rained. They said that would be great. Well, our schedules have conflicted a few times and today I was finally able to meet them out there to do some detecting.
Right away I realized after digging a few deep memorials, the dirt had been moved and graded. I'm guessing that when their house was built, all of this was done. I started moving away from the footing hoping to get into less disturbed ground. I dug a few more clad coins and a few wheaties at about 6 to 7inches. I was almost ready to just sign this site off as a loss when I got another deep penny signal. I figured it would be another 7in wheaty or something. After pulling the plug, I stuck my probe into the hole to find my target. The target was still in the edge of the hole at about 6in. I scooped out about 3inches of dirt and seen my coin hit the light of day.
Picking it up, I noticed that it was smaller than a quarter but bigger than a nickel.
After cleaning it off just a little bit, I realized that I had dug a 2-cent piece!
I believe this is my 4th 2-cent piece that I have ever dug. I stuck around for a little while longer, but nothing else was dug. It cleaned up pretty good to. I started off the day hoping for a silver, but this coin made my day!!

Attachments

• img_2321.jpg
    img_2321.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 607
  • img_2323.jpg
    img_2323.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 605
Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Wow, nice coin. It's too bad about the pitting on it because otherwise that coin is in almost perfect shape. Congrats :thumbsup: If thats a small motto even better, I can't tell by looking.

HH Charlie

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
Wow! Anytime you can read the word WE on the back, that's a good one. That thing must have been drop right after it was put into circulation.

Great find!!

and that's MY 2 cents.

HH
John

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice job on the 2 center. I want to find one >:( That is a cool coin. congrats....jgas

OP
OP
Johnny Ringo Silver

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
savant365 said:
Wow, nice coin. It's too bad about the pitting on it because otherwise that coin is in almost perfect shape. Congrats :thumbsup: If thats a small motto even better, I can't tell by looking.

HH Charlie
Looking at the "D" in God, its a large motto.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Johnny, I was almost afriad to see the scan of the flip side because those shields are always first to get the pits. Man, that is a beauty! Really exceptional for one of these that are so hard to find is this condition. Congratulations!

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Wow, very nice find. The pitting just authenticates that it was dug. Still way cool dig. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Say there Ringo....long time since CTH. Just wondered what you cleaned it with. It turned out nice and I have a few coins I would llikw to clean but keep the patina.

Thanks,
gregd

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a nice looking coin! 2 centers are always a nice find especially in that condition. :thumbsup:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice two cent worth. Congrats.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread