MY 2nd Meteorite find ! BUT?

DIGITMAN

Jul 1, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro / GoldBug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting with my buddy in a field next to the old santa fe station,San Bernardino ca. Looking for old coins,looking down i seen it mixed in with some gravel rock next to a dirt driveway..what got my attention was the perfect round hole drilled in it! Im not a expert,but i have a good collection of meteorites and know the differents.IM not going test it.its definitly an IRON looking through a loop...SO i think someone lost it on a neckless..did some find it and had a hole drilled in it? or bought it that way? Well its mine now i will add it to my collection. hope you like the pictures 2nd Iron meteorite find  sept.2013 001.jpg 2nd Iron meteorite find  sept.2013 002.jpg 2nd Iron meteorite find  sept.2013 003.jpg 2nd Iron meteorite find  sept.2013 004.jpg 2nd Iron meteorite find  sept.2013 005.jpg 2nd Iron meteorite find  sept.2013 006.jpg

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that is just weird! the round hole...looks man made, the surface of the meteorite indeed looks like a meteorite but the only way someone could drill a hole in a nickel iron meteorite would be a "white mans" drill of steel I think...Indians could not have done it I think with their tools....at least dont' think so.

the best drill the Indians had for really hard stone etc, was a piece of hard bamboo dipped in dust of flint dust or sand, which would cut a hole in pretty hard rock. I have studied how the Indians drilled holes in "bannerstones" and they used both "flint" (really chert) drills and also the above mentioned bamboo method.
example of American Indian drilled bannerstone using the bamboo and ground flint or sand method, which leaves a "core" in the center as it goes inside the bamboo drill bit:
attachment.php

example of the flint/chert drill bit to drill a bannerstone (American Indian made):
attachment.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
DIGITMAN

DIGITMAN

Jul 1, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro / GoldBug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really intristing,never knew that...but the hole in the meteorite seems perfect round.with the 10 power loop u can see the smooth metal inside hole,looks cool to see upclose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread