My 4th 1794 Large Cent :)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the mountain bike out with the detector in a bag and went to a nearby millsite that soon will be developed, so trying to pound the site and milk the last goodies out of there. Right away this morning I got a high tone coin signal and within 5 minutes of the beginning of the hunt I had a Large Cent.

By the looks of it when I found it, I knew one side was going to be in bad shape, but I figured it was just another Coronet type Large Cent. I hunted for another two hours with only a wheatie and buckle and one nice flat button with a beautiful design on the backmark.

When I got home a soaked it in Peroxide, I noticed the Liberty Cap showing and now could also see the edge lettering, so I knew I had a 1793-1796 Large Cent, which I should have realized by the thickness from the get go, but I did not.

I tried the best I could to clean the coin, but I knew it was corroded severely on one side but was happy it had great detail when lost, so all is there for attributing and it is a Scarce variety , Sheldon 55.

I have four 1794's now , all different, one is a bigtime rarity, S-19a, and the rest are more scarce to common, S-55 today, S-61 and a S-65. There are very many varieties of the 1794 Large Cent and the one anybody would love to find is the Starred Reverse one. Even in bad condition it would most likely get more at auction than most chain cents.

Don

Attachments

• 1794S55post.jpg
    1794S55post.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 733
Upvote 0
how thick are they because I dug up a coin that is very corroded and cant find any detail.... My coin is a little larger than a quarter and half the thickness. any ideas??

how deep was it?
what machine you use?
ring up as ? (foil ,copper ,silver range ,etc)?
signature/vdi # ?
details

johnbr19792003 said:
how thick are they because I dug up a coin that is very corroded and cant find any detail.... My coin is a little larger than a quarter and half the thickness. any ideas??

The early year large cents are very thick and have edge lettering on them, also my 1793 Half Cent is smaller than later half cents but much thicker and also with edge lettering.

the coin you are describing could be a number of things, without a photo and mm size I cannot venture a guess.

Baron Von De Kalb said:
how deep was it?
what machine you use?
ring up as ? (foil ,copper ,silver range ,etc)?
signature/vdi # ?
details

Most of my finds are never very deep, since I hunt mostly homesteads that have been abandoned back in the early 1800's, or hunt at 1700 mills sites. So this one was about 5-6 inches down which is about average in my area. I use a 6 year old Explorer XS and of course a copper of that size indicated a copper of that size in both tone and where the crosshair was showing.

Almost any detector could have found this one, like so many others, but the coil must swing over the spot to be found!. I was only using the 8 in coil and not the stock coil which is 10.5 inches...........

This site has been good to me over the years, and my son has quite a few from the same place. Here are mine from this one site:
1744 Spanish Two Reale 18 10-Feb-04
1781 Spanish Half Real 18 18-May-03
1787 New Jersey Colonial 18 23-Feb-05
1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent 18 9-Oct-06
1795 Liberty Cap Large Cent 18 4-Mar-02
1798 Draped Bust Large Cent 18 2-Mar-02
1798 Draped Bust Large Cent 18 30-Sep-05
1800 Spanish Half Real 18 2-Mar-02
1806 King George III HalfPenny 18 2-Mar-02
1824 Coronet Type Large Cent 18 1-Feb-01
1840 Coronet Type Large Cent 18 20-Oct-05
1865 Two Cent Piece 18 1-Feb-01
1867 Shield Type Nickel 18 03-Jun-04
1940 Mercury Dime 18 2-Oct-06
1951 Washington Quarter 18 7-Sep-05
1700+ Unknown Colonial Copper 18 24-Mar-03
1796+ Draped Bust Large Cent 18 1-Jun-85

The 18 is the site number I have assigned to this place. :)

thank you very much appreciate your prompt reply ;)

Nice coin, did you use olive oil soak to clean it with? How'd ya get it to look so nice?

You cleaned it very well, it almost doesn't even look like the same coin! Congrats on the awesome find!

Thanks Don! I haven't found any coins where I'd have to use that yet but hopefully I will and I will use your method for sure! Looks Great!

That's an amazing site you're hunting, Don. :o Congratulations on another nice large cent!

Thanks for sharing your cleaning method with us. Looks good! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back