My 4th point and its flint!

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image-2714203184.jpg
    image-2714203184.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image-1238016734.jpg
    image-1238016734.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Is the staff button in todays finds also? :notworthy: The flint in Virginia has a name that eludes me at the moment . What a good day you had! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first point in Va when I was about 8 yrs old. I know its some where around here. Wish I could find it. nice finds

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I'm thinking your find is petrified wood. However, obsidian isn't impossible to find in VA. VA. Has 2 dormant volcanoes and they have yielded nice obsidian in the past. Rock has called a piece of mine horse creek chert. The lithic looks really similar to yours.

OP
OP
flyinryan2

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking your find is petrified wood. However, obsidian isn't impossible to find in VA. VA. Has 2 dormant volcanoes and they have yielded nice obsidian in the past. Rock has called a piece of mine horse creek chert. The lithic looks really similar to yours.

Thanks a lot!

OP
OP
flyinryan2

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, flyinryan. Nice looking point, I think the material is Shenandoah Vally chert, here's a link with a description.Thanks for the view.Shenandoah Valley Chert

Thanks theviking! It was found in Culpeper, va. About 60 miles south of Frederick co., where I live. But still looks like it could be that type of chert.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
There are almost 20 different named chert types found in VA. Most of it is described as being grey or black and glassy with different inclusions. Many of them named for the location of the source, I don't recall any coming from the Culpeper area, very cool.

OP
OP
flyinryan2

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are almost 20 different named chert types found in VA. Most of it is described as being grey or black and glassy with different inclusions. Many of them named for the location of the source, I don't recall any coming from the Culpeper area, very cool.

I was told by several people from that area that they all have found quartz points, but nobody have found one like mine. They all said that is very rare for Culpeper.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice...

Bolen Bevel

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Flint in the United States. Not sure if any natural flint is found here. Many cherts, jaspers and wood. English flint was brought over as ship ballast and then dumped at seaports along the eastern coast after ships were loaded. I imagine this rock that is flint could be found several hundred miles away from the coast line.

As far as your finds go, very nice.

Maybe what I am trying to say is that most rock is referred to as "flint" even though its not actually flint. A rock that looks a lot like true flint is Indiana Horn stone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyinryan2

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bolen Bevel

Flint in the United States. Not sure if any natural flint is found here. Many cherts, jaspers and wood. English flint was brought over as ship ballast and then dumped at seaports along the eastern coast after ships were loaded. I imagine this rock that is flint could be found several hundred miles away from the coast line.

As far as your finds go, very nice.

Maybe what I am trying to say is that most rock is referred to as "flint" even though its not actually flint. A rock that looks a lot like true flint is Indiana Horn stone.

Thanks guys!

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! thanks for sharing. I know very little about Buttons, and always enjoy seeing such relics. I did a little digging on the one your showing, and came up with this as confirmation. I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, so this may not be spot on to the exact button, but it is close. http://www.civilwarrelics.com/museum/graphics/CS7A-a.jpg

OP
OP
flyinryan2

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! thanks for sharing. I know very little about Buttons, and always enjoy seeing such relics. I did a little digging on the one your showing, and came up with this as confirmation. I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, so this may not be spot on to the exact button, but it is close. http://www.civilwarrelics.com/museum/graphics/CS7A-a.jpg

Thank you , yes it's a Confederate officers button a real rare find.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did not know that. Interesting for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread