SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I can say is WOW!« on: Today at 01:29:12 PM »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

on The C.S. Sentinel's Relic Forum! Thanks everyone for voting my find "Relic of the Year!!!" 2012 was a year in metal detecting I will never forget. The 76th British silver plated officers button was the highlight of the year but I also found my 16mm Confederate Staff Button thought to have been given out to staff officers under Georgia's Colonel Cobb's command who was instrumental in the victory at the battle of Damn Number 1 in April of 1861. I also found 53 marked French Revolutionary War buttons from 15 different regiments ..............including many rare numbers that are seldom seen. 15 early Spanish silver reales and lots of early colonial coppers and Virginia Half Pennys. I found a beautiful complete shoe buckle, a broken Continental sling buckle, a neck stock and many other smaller colonial buckles and military items to numerous to mention. I also found many other coins pre dating the Civil War...... many silver. Four Revolutionary War Cannonballs (one of them a hand grenade!) and a baby Hotchkiss projectile from the Civil War. Nine Confederate buttons including a Mississippi "I' coat button and a Norfolk Academy button and one non descript Virginia oval breastplate! A rare Union Officers crossed cannon artillery insignia and 2 other state hat insignias (one of them still unidentified but I think it is a unlisted hat badge from the state of Louisiana). Lots of Union buttons and hundreds of Civil War bullets from both sides and Revolutionary War musketballs. It was a year I will never forget! I should also mention that in 2012 I learned how to electroylsize iron projectiles by one of the best ..... Pete George who co-wrote Projectiles of the American Civil War ...... the best book in my opinion available today to relic hunters. All of the cannonballs and even the large pieces of shrapnel I found I electrolysized myself leading to the discovery of both the Rev War hand grenade and the spiked British mortar ball I found (both of which are extremely rare and one authenticates an illegal practice used by the British) . Not only this but I have made many new friendships on this site which I am sure will last a lifetime! Best of luck to all of you in life and your metal detecting pursuits in 2013! This trophy will be the icing on the cake for my best metal detecting year I have had ever! Best regards and happy hunting............ Devonrex

Attachments

• SAM_0329.JPG
    SAM_0329.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 171
  • SAM_0331.JPG
    SAM_0331.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 171
  • SAM_0338.JPG
    SAM_0338.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 6

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME !!!!:notworthy:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: Well worth it!

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
That is ONE nice button Devonrex! Glad for you. Tennessee digger

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate all of the posts you made last year and have learned a lot about one of my favorite relics... Buttons! I can see why that one got the award. Good luck in 2013... Steve

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You had an amazing year! Any chance you could post pictures of some of you better finds in this thread ?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some killer finds for sure.................HH

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Cow, thats one cool button! Congratulations!

Steve

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "76" is an officer's button. I had one exactly like it that came out of Virginia. It's pictured in Don Trioni's new book on Rev War artifacts. French buttons are still overlooked. Glad you were able to save some from the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread