My 8" dredge build

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Re: My 8" dredge build

I got a little more work done on the dredge but don't have any pictures. I've been trying to get a hold of Precision the last couple days but havnt had any luck. I need the part that bolts to the vw flywheel and the pump shaft splines into. I emailed keene and got a reply right back. There part costs $175. The splines appear to be the right size but I'm not sure if keenes pumps have the same length pump shaft as precision. Hopefully precision responds to me emails or messages soon and there part is cheaper. Worst comes to worst I will have to make my own.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Well, last week has been rainy weather so I didn't get much work done. Yesterday and today has been nice so I got a little work done on it. I got most if not all of the material that I need.

I built a rib cage around the sluice to keep it stiff.

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Ok, so here's my plan. Rather then using the extremely heavy original flare that's 12 feet long I'm going to build a custom crash box. A lot of you will think that I'm crazy but here is my reasoning.

1- The whole point of this dredge is to have a smaller more portable 8" dredge then anyone makes. A 12' 100+ lb flare defeats the purpose. The entire dredge is about 12' long. The crashbox barrel I'm making will only weigh about 25 lbs.

2- My claim has heavy compacted gravels above the bedrock and a crashbox ensures it all gets broken up. My sluice also has a 2' long flat spot in the beginning of it to classify material and allow the heavies to sink.

Here's my plan, don't laugh, I like using Microsoft paint. It's simple and easy.
:tongue3:
Untitled.png

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

If anyone has any opinions, comments, dislikes, likes, etc post them up. :tongue3:. I'm interested in what you guys think. Am I crazy? I figured the plans to switch from flare to crashbox on an 8" dredge would have stirred some interests by now, lol.

But seriously, I'm interested in any ideas or opinions, they might improve my design.

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq

I cant weld, but I make my own gear. I can draw and fold aluminum for what thats worth. I, like you like to think about things and how and why they would work, or make things easier, lighter, faster what have you. Just a suggestion from looking at your crash box diagram. If there is a way to test the flow before marrying the finished product by all means I would. To me it just looks like the direction of the input may inhibit the flow. I've done a little thinking on this myself because I am planning a dredge high banker combo. Maybe adding just a little more to the top of the 1/4 round piece at the bottom of step 2 would help? Just an idea. Excellent job, I look forward to the finished product and the color you find. :headbang:

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010

Another thing to think about is that a flair starts classifying before the sluice which is a real biggy as far as recovery is concerned. Doug.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

i lkie your idea but i dont want to put a damper on it! but the drum thickness isnt going to work for long. it will get beat all out of shape quickly! why not try some thicker 1/4 ABS plastic sheeting. thats what Keene used and it heldup for a long time. i see why you chose the drum because its almost what you need. maybe(if you decide to use it anyway) you could reinforce the drum walls with some thicker metal as a liner. this could be replaced if/when it would get distorted.and id put/weld a few peices of angle iron across its insides to help breakup the clays/conglomerits that you suck up. good luck!

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Well, I havnt done much work to the dredge the last couple of days. My dog chewed the plug on my welder so I had to fix that. I've been trying on figuring how I want to mount the motor and pump to the frame. Also I don't think my crashbox idea is gonna work. It's huge, takes a lot of room, will sit too high above the water, I will have to move the motor back to fit it on which defeats the purpose of my pontoon set up in the front.

I guess I will have to try to figure out how to make a 8" flare which I'm not looking forward to. The original one is about 12' long and only opens up to about 18" which is pointless. Way too damn heavy.

This thing is becoming a pain in my arse :-\

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Well, i got away from the house and had some fun and got a few ideas now. Tomorrow i will have to check them out. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow to show my progress.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

shamaalah said:
oragonads said:
Oh yea, so far I'm about $360 into it. I'm figuring about $300-$500 bucks more and I have a complete dredge less motor and air compressor.

What type motor/pump setup? Dont forget, that 8in suction hose can be a killer ($$$) as well. I think you'll be in about $2500/$3000 when alls said and done?...still not bad considering an 8inchers about $8000 plus?

Your about right on the button!

It will be about $3000 in. Actually more like $3500 - $4000 with a gast compressor and new hose. That's including my welder and miscellaneous tools I had to pick up. The welder set up cost about $1500 by itself.

New progress pictures coming tomorrow.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Well, here's where I'm at.

IMAG0050-1.jpg

IMAG0051-1.jpg

That's the original motor, pump, and compressor mount that I cut from the old frame and welded angle iron to it so it fits around the frame and can slide left to right to balance the weight.

IMAG0052-1.jpg

IMAG0054-1.jpg

And here's a few pictures with the punch plate laying in it to show how the material will be classified for the over under sluice set up.

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

This is how the sluice is adjustable from the classifying section. I'm going to cut up a truck inner tube and glue it to act as a gasket for the bolt on hinge section and also to create the sides in the gap area. Hard to explain but you will probably get it from the picture.

IMAG0053-1.jpg

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

The motor and pump sits a bit higher then I wanted but it should work fine the way it is.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Got the bottom expanded metal all welded up. I just need to weld some supports in for the over under separating sheets. The sheets to separate the top and bottom sections are 2 32" x 48" 11 gauge steel. Good and strong but heavy, that's why I have them in 2 sections to make it easier to move in and out. Also the bottom expanded metal are in 2 32" x 48" sections to move in and out easier.

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Job...

Reminds me of the "good 'ol days"..when we didn't have stores selling pre-made dredgres.. in the late 60's and early 70, we had to build or modify something for everything we used in dredging...

Thanks for sharing..it looks really good....

Back in the day, I used 55 gal drums for flotation... and a small block inline water cool engine....and usually coupled a Berkley self-priming pump to the engine as well as belt drove an air compressor...using a beer keg for the surplus air reserve tank.... and used the warm radiator water for our wet suit heaters....we would build our own venturi power jets..

They were built for stout.. not for looks and usually had to launch them like a boat due to how heavy there were... but man--o--man..would they suck the gravel....

You've done a great job...you should be proud of your of your project and efforts... Really- -very well done! Good Luck to you and your dredging days to come....

Klondike....

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Klondikeike said:
Great Job...

Reminds me of the "good 'ol days"..when we didn't have stores selling pre-made dredgres.. in the late 60's and early 70, we had to build or modify something for everything we used in dredging...

Thanks for sharing..it looks really good....

Back in the day, I used 55 gal drums for flotation... and a small block inline water cool engine....and usually coupled a Berkley self-priming pump to the engine as well as belt drove an air compressor...using a beer keg for the surplus air reserve tank.... and used the warm radiator water for our wet suit heaters....we would build our own venturi power jets..

They were built for stout.. not for looks and usually had to launch them like a boat due to how heavy there were... but man--o--man..would they suck the gravel....

You've done a great job...you should be proud of your of your project and efforts... Really- -very well done! Good Luck to you and your dredging days to come....

Klondike....

Thanks for the kind words Klondike. I love that beer keg idea.

I'm just about 21 years old so hopefully I will have many years of dredging ahead of me (unless these environmental-nazi's end it for us. But worst comes to worst, what they don't know don't hurt em :wink:

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

I haven't had any luck finding someone who can machine me a connector that bolts to the flywheel and the pump shaft splines into. Precision isn't making any of them yet. Keene said there's would work and originally said it costs $175 but when I decided that was going to have to do they are now saying its $225. More then I want to pay. I've contacted a few more machine shops and am waiting to see what they say... :dontknow:

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Send me a PM with your personal contact info.. I'll get you in touch with a guy who can do that for you...

Klondike...

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Klondikeike said:
Send me a PM with your personal contact info.. I'll get you in touch with a guy who can do that for you...

Klondike...

Thanks for the offer klondike but I think I got it handled now. I found 3 machine shops who can do it for me.
I also went to a local prospecting shop to ask about it and they know a guy who has a ton of old precision parts and might have one. I'm waiting on his phone call to see if hes got one for me.

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool...

My friend is a professor at a University in the Mechanical Engineering Department,, Machine Shop Class...and he would have made it a class project...and probably wouldn't cost you anything..maybe shipping..

Good luck... it really does look good..

Klondike..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread