My Ace 250

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sensitivity is up too high for 1 and your digging on the edge of iron targets thats causing phantom tones as you call them...use your pinpoint spend some time with the machine and you will learn alot more about it...as for digging bottle caps get used to them the ace loves them as much as silver

Robert2300

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had trouble when I first got my Ace 250; it took some time getting used to pinpointing
with the coil. My other problem was I had no hand held pin pointer. Once I bought the Pro Pointer I found
all targets. No more big holes. I have also found that if I hit a target that says 2 inches but I'm digging further than that it's almost
always a junk target like a tin can. Other wise the depth reading has been accurate.
Good luck
Robert2300

OP
OP
R

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I appreciate the feedback. I'll try to turn the sensitivity down. I dont have a coil cover so i know thats not dirty. The reason I called it a phantom tone is because I'll get the tone, do the pinpoint, dig the hole down usually 6 - 8 inches just to be sure, scan over it again and now the tone is on the edge of the hole. I expand the hole to get to that area, dig down same depth and repeat. Then, after I find nothing, I'll scan the hole and surrounding edges of my now CRATER and there is no tone what so ever. So I'll go through the dirt i pulled out hand full by hand full and nothing. SO now I'm starting to think it may be cell phone interference or something of that sort. Maybe the power lines over head? I dont know.

I will turn my sensitivity way down and try that way! Thanks for the advice. I'll get back to you all!

OP
OP
R

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Went out today. Put coin discrimination on, sensitivity at about half and didn't get any phantom signals. I also left my phone in the house! So I found a 1963 nickle and 3 modern pennies. Wasn't out for too long! My hole sizes are smaller now too! thank you for the advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread