My adventure at Barre Falls Dam

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Was pouring out today but i wanted to go detecting, so i removed my control box and put it in a ziplock freezer bag, yea i know, pretty rigged :P but it works! Went there and hit a few small park areas and didnt find much but a 1996 penny and a huge cig lighter. Then i went to a place near the dump that had a plaque saying it used to be an outbuilding in the 1800's, all i found was another 1996 penny. Then we drove down a long random road (there are loads of random dirt roads out there) and i happen to see a square depression lined with stone to the side of the road :o I figured it was a cellar hole so i went to check it out, turns out its a huge bottle adn trash dump :o :o It was a cellar hole that i think someone decided to fill with household trash back in the early 1900's. Most of the stuff looked early 1900's. Couldnt find a whole bottle in all the mud though :-\ Did find a beat up "furniture coaster" meaning that it was prolly household trash. There was supposed to be prison camps out there during ww1 or ww2, maybe that was what this cellar hole is? there was alot of thin iron pan/pots. found an interesting whatsit near the cellar hole, looks farmiliar but cant put finger on it....any ideas ??? Also there was a plaque there saying that there used to be a decent sized village out there in the woods somehwere, man what i would give to just have a whole day to explore that area. Its over 500 acres.

Anyone else detected the Barre Falls Damn in Mass?

Attachments

• barrefinds.JPG
    barrefinds.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 451
  • biglighter.JPG
    biglighter.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 441
  • barrefurniturecoaster.JPG
    barrefurniturecoaster.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 418
  • Whatsitbarre.JPG
    Whatsitbarre.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 448
Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

your 4th photo looks like it could be a clip for holding rifle bullets. Military.

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
whatsit looks like the pattern off of an old Ford truck footpedal...or a sewing machine pedal [one of the first electric convertions]

L

Lanier

M1 Garand rifle clip

Makes you wonder what else is there

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like you found an area that will keep you busy for a long time, Jake. Have you ever looked at the library or courthouse for old maps of the area?

Who's your detecting partner? I haven't heard you mention him/her before.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Sherm nailed it on the m1 rifle stripper clip :o So i think i found the prison camps ;D I am gonna try and make it to the library today to see if they have any history on the town of Barre, Ma. Nope, no detecting partner, when i say "we" i mean me and my mom (she drove me there). but she stayed in the car while i checked out areas in the woods, too rainy for her :D

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Nope not a stripper clip. maybe magazine of M1-1941 Johnson 30-06, but still looks to heavy even for that.
Can you get a pic of it turned over??

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Yup your right! I've only seen the modern stripper clips till now. the replacements ones for loading that clip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread