My approach to the "dump bank"

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really new here (yesterday) and really new to CRH (2 months). But I was reading through the posts this morning and saw someone reference "one of my dump banks" and I had to laugh because I instantly knew what that meant. Since I started I instinctively have been dumping my junk change at one branch of my bank and picking up new rolls and boxes at other branches. I guess my instincts were probably based partly on not wanting to be known as the freaky coin guy (although I'm sure I'll get over that eventually) and partly on the ancient wisdom that you "don't s**t where you eat."

Today I found an even more satisfying dumping solution. I brought in an ice cream pail full of this past weekend's dimes and cents, and applied it toward my mortgage payment. My mortgage is at a different bank than my main checking, and I only show up once a month to write a check, so I don't really care if they know me as the annoying coin guy. In fact I kind of like the idea. Plus there at least six branches nearby that I can pay my mortgage at, so I can mix it up a little and not annoy the same employees each time. Maybe next month I'll bring a 5 gallon bucket and make a full mortgage payment!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Wisconsin. I'm still feeling out the vibe here, and have nothing else to compare it to, other than what I read on these boards.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I always have made my mortgage payment in coin. They get my dump and my crusty beach clad. I've paid over $60k on principal with my dumps and I intend to continue until the last payment.

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
I always have made my mortgage payment in coin. They get my dump and my crusty beach clad. I've paid over $60k on principal with my dumps and I intend to continue until the last payment.

I close Thursday on a refi that will likely be sold to Wells Fargo. Can't wait to show up with 75 lbs of halves to pay every month!

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Wisconsin. I'm still feeling out the vibe here, and have nothing else to compare it to, other than what I read on these boards.

Where in WI? Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want it public. I'm hunting west Madison.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice idea. My dump bank thinks I have a vending service. I just go with it.

Same thing here- they just asked if all my coins come from a vending biz and so I just said ya- never asked me again which I like-

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
If I read your post correctly, you are dumping and buying from the same bank but different branches which will still lead to crap at your dinner table. What most do is dump into one bank and then pickup from another so that you are not getting your same coins back. Most open a free account at another bank just for the purpose of dumping or picking up. Even then you are never truly sure, lately I have been getting Brink's dime boxes from my Bank that uses Loomis because they will trade with each other when one is short. I guess someone is doing a lot of dimes at my one Bank because they have been having Brinks for a month now. I do the same thing as the others with my mortgage paying it with halves, dimes, and nickels. Welcome to TN and to CRH, good luck and happy hunting.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minkybodl sometimes banks switch carriers, may ask your vault manager if this happened. I know one of my banks is looking at leaving Brinks and going to Loomis, i think because they said it is cheaper.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Minkybodl sometimes banks switch carriers, may ask your vault manager if this happened. I know one of my banks is looking at leaving Brinks and going to Loomis, i think because they said it is cheaper.

Yeah, BOA changed from Brinks about 6 months ago and when I asked the Teller why, she said, "Well I'm sure it has something to do with money." This is at a PNC where I get a box of halves, dimes, and nickels every week and they are still the same boxes for the half and nickels boxes only the dimes have been different lately. I have seen the Loomis truck bring them to PNC but, I will ask the Teller why next time I see her. I have gotten the Brink's dime once in a while from Regions also and then they always went back to the normal String and Son wrapped ones.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up all of my boxes from brinks 40 to 45 and dump all back to brinks. And do just find? The only other boxes I get come from dunbar and that's only 4 perweek. It all comes back. It did help when I dumped $10,000 to $15.000 per week in ac that was 120 miles from my house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread