My Bank Chargeing Me For Pennys

vetteguy96

Mar 11, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Rhetorical Question: (Asked because I just don't KNOW the right answer)

...Would it be LEGAL for a bank to charge a premium on currency? Artificial inflation? Similarly, is it LEGAL for a bank to charge for ordering coins......Should this be looked in to further, or should I just Shut up?

I defer to those more knowledgeable......

:hello:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
vetteguy96 said:

...Would it be LEGAL for a bank to charge a premium on currency? Artificial inflation? Similarly, is it LEGAL for a bank to charge for ordering coins......Should this be looked in to further, or should I just Shut up?

The banks are either passing on the Brinks/Loomis fees, trying to make a profit off their customers, or both.

They aren't charging a premium for currency, which would be legal anyway, but charging for the service to get the coins to the bank, or their customer.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
vetteguy96 said:

Banks can legally charge fees if that want to. Whether or not it is a good business practice is another question. I see a time when every bank is going to charge for boxes, and probably will for dumps to over a certain amount.

Some recent laws have stopped how much banks can charge for fees to people who overdraft and use ATMs, etc, so banks are starting to tack on fees on other non regulated areas, like charging for getting back canceled checks, etc.

Not a long shot that they will decide to profit on the helpless, addicted CRHers if they can.

Jim

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jim4silver said:
vetteguy96 said:

Banks can legally charge fees if that want to. Whether or not it is a good business practice is another question. I see a time when every bank is going to charge for boxes, and probably will for dumps to over a certain amount.

Some recent laws have stopped how much banks can charge for fees to people who overdraft and use ATMs, etc, so banks are starting to tack on fees on other non regulated areas, like charging for getting back canceled checks, etc.

Not a long shot that they will decide to profit on the helpless, addicted CRHers if they can.

Jim
I have to comment on this post even though it Was not Coin roll related

My Bank decided to start charging 35.00 for over draft fees Unlimited and taking the money out of My savings to Boot I caught on to what was Happening I went In and asked About the Charges for overdraft and Found out they said they sent out A letter to all account Holders that they Have changed their Policies on over drafts To allow them all With a charge ,,, I told Them Not so Nicely that they could not change Anything on My account without Something from Me acknowledging the Changes And If they did not Reverse all of the charges from the time of the Letter that I would Start a class action Law suit they reversed over 300 in charges and also other charges Incurred

Unless the send the Letter Certified to you about the Changes and They get a signature They Can not Modify your Account May differ in Different states!!! HH And don't let them Get away with it!!! Chug

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you can skirt the box fee by asking for "trays" of coins. I have a branch near me that seldom will sell me boxes (unless they are CWR going out to the sorting facility) but they never hesitate to sell me a tray or two of coins. Again, the trays are often CWR, but I've done pretty good with the dimes out of this branch. Most recently, $150 in dimes (1.5 trays) yeilded 3 silvers, and not a single clad newer than 2002. I could tell these were older rolls because the paper was more brittle than usual.

OP
OP
Gaijun1

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
Cool Finds I Too Finished Up 3 Boxs ( Not Brinks ) Since Friday By Hand
And Got 4 Wheaties

So I Went Back To My Bank And Payed An Extra 5 Dollors a Box For a Brinks
And Got 34 Wheaties In A $ 25 Box Much Happier With Paying The Extra $ 5 Per Box
As Far As My Turnout For Copper 65 / 35 I Made Out Twice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread