Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I was doing well when I got a box with 50% Lowell 2019 Quarters in it. Well...not ONE W! Bummer! So after my happy nap I figured I would just go dump in the free coin machine at my credit union.

So...it came to precisely $500. At least they didn't short me with a foreign coin this time.

So...I go to the teller, who happened to be the manager. And waited. And waited. And waited some more while an elderly lady asked her every question about banking known to God and man. Finally it was my turn.

So...I hand her the slip and tell her to pay off the credit card with it. No problem. I assumed there was a tiny bit of interest for the few days I had used the money to go through $2k in quarters.

I owed them 14 cents. So...wait for it...hold onto your butt...

I handed her a quarter. She then tells me she cannot accept it! Like WHAT? So I said, "excuse me"?

She then said she had no money and could not give me the 11 cents change for the quarter. I transferred the 14 cents from my savings account to pay it off. I should have tossed her the quarter so her cash drawer would have been "off" for the day. It would have made it look like she cheated someone.

OR

I should have shoved the quarter up ( my cat says I can't say that here.)

You can't make this up.

Like it says in "Ghostbusters" as a sign of the End of the Age "cats and dogs...sleeping together".

Upvote 0

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'd close my account there immediately.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting coins from a bank is getting harder and harder. Heck, they didn't have 11 cents?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's nuts. But you can see the cashless society take hold. Fewer and fewer clad drops at the beaches and parks, areas that should get regularly replenished. Not that clad is the objective, but it is an indicator.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously? That is scary that a bank would not be able to provide change for a quarter.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously...I really should have just tossed it at her and let her tell the powers that be how her drawer was "off" for the day. On the other hand, I'm getting more halves Friday and have to dump them...um...THERE!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gone are the family moments of dad running off the beach to feed quarters into the meters. The machines all accept credit cards and sometimes even want your license plate number!!! I'm the guy that walks the ten blocks for free parking.

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
America should adopt the $1 and $2 coins and get rid of the paper equivalent like up here in Canada. Makes for great year-end totals not to mention they fall out of pockets easily when people sit on the grass in parks. I can't wait for the $5 and $10 coins to arrive, I will be making more than the average daily earnings up here :laughing7:

Last edited:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my branch banks told me last week that they won't be getting any boxes for about 10 days, and asked me if I had any they could buy. Said yes, give me a day or two.
Must be the norm for this time of holiday season, coin shortages.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad2silver, there is no transaction fee for getting cash out of the credit card, and I use that for getting boxes, so I'm sticking with them, BUT I keep very little in my savings account there. Also, I have had that card 25 years now, so it looks good on my credit report.

In Da Hole, we already have $2 bills and $1 coins which nobody likes. Nobody. The tellers beg me to take them sometimes!

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Da Hole, we already have $2 bills and $1 coins which nobody likes. Nobody. The tellers beg me to take them sometimes!

The trick is to totally remove and devalue your lower denomination bills and replace them with coins, no one would have a choice after that.

We all complained here about losing our one and two dollar bills, but it's been 20 years that have gone by since the first Loonie and I think most people really don't care anymore. The only problem with them is they have steel in them which some detectors like certain Minelabs don't easily pick up and can sound like bottle caps until you get an ear for them.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously? That is scary that a bank would not be able to provide change for a quarter.

Yup. Some of these places don't have cash drawers at all. If making a deposit, you feed a machine; if making a cash withdrawal, you take it from the machine. The tellers there just operate the computer and give you a receipt. One of my credit unions does this. They don't take coins either but I use the coin machine, free for account holders.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gone are the family moments of dad running off the beach to feed quarters into the meters. The machines all accept credit cards and sometimes even want your license plate number!!! I'm the guy that walks the ten blocks for free parking.

LOL. Smokey and I have seen where you park. Its so much better exercise walking the extra distance...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad2silver, there is no transaction fee for getting cash out of the credit card, and I use that for getting boxes, so I'm sticking with them, BUT I keep very little in my savings account there. Also, I have had that card 25 years now, so it looks good on my credit report.

The $1 coins are good for holding down paper money tips - but I doubt if they know what they are.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I went to get quarters the other, fool teller gave me the look of death! I mean, come on, it's a bank, right?

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had trouble getting larger bills like $50 and $100 in the past several months and the one time I was their first customer in the morning. I don't know how local businesses are doing for change these days as my bank has been refusing to do change. I have been giving some of my rolled change directly to some of these businesses in exchange for product. They gladly accept my change.

BTW Smokey, the quarter they'd have gotten from you they would've pulled change from their own pockets to put in the drawer while keeping the quarter. They also don't get into trouble for being over by a few dollars.

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I don't use change any more at all and haven't since debit cards. I have a copper kettle by the fireplace where I once dumped the change from my pocket daily. It's so heavy I can't lift it but I don't recall the last time I dropped a coin in it.

Since all is cyber money now, with no real value, gold is looking better by the day.

g

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did really good on quarters today. Mean bankers. Will post after my nap! If it's not too late.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread