My best Barber dime find EVER!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well folks, I have a little story to tell.

First I need to tell you that I have been metal detecting since 1986. During that time I have found my share of silver dimes. Even a few Barber dimes. However, nothing that compares to what I found this last saturday afternoon!

This was the weekend of the WWATS annual hunt at the K River Campground in Antlers, Oklahoma. My family and I had a wonderful time! There were seeded hunts in the morning and afternoon of both days, and everyone was finding coins and tokens for prizes. My son found a token that got him a Garret GTA 500. I found tokens that got me a couple of silver rounds.

Anyway, on saturday afternoon between hunts, I took a little walk with my detector down a path by the river, detecting as I went. I found a few wheat cents as I went along so I kept going. Well, before I knew it I had gone about a half a mile down river. About then I spied what looked like an old campsite. Blackened dirt and scattered rocks hinted of an old camp fire.

I started swinging my Cibola. A few pops and chirps indicated pieces of metal, and I did dig some old tin can tops. A couple tent rivets, some slag and just ONE COIN!!!!!!!!

At about 3 inches down, out came a dirty silver coin.....I made out the partial words ONE DIME, turned it over and could tell that it was indeed a Barber dime, however heavily caked with dirt. I detected a little bit more around the site but did not come up with any more coins. I was excited anyway, and wanted to go back and show everyone what I found. So I very carefully put the coin in my pouch being careful not to rub it, and headed back.

Late last night when I got home I put it in a dish of soapy water. Then this afternoon I gently cleaned it with warm water and baking soda. Ready to display!

Ladies and gentlemen, my best Barber dime find ever!

Attachments

• 100_1418.JPG
    100_1418.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 599
  • 100_1502.JPG
    100_1502.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome coin!

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done sniffing your way out there to find the place. That's a great coin to show off. Congrats! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks etrac007, Tim, allen, Albert, BLUZ, beetle, Randy, brian, John, Nate and Dan! I am still excited about it!

Rick

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Nice coin, but I would never use baking soda. It cleans because it is abrasive and leaves fine scratches on the coin. If you choose to send it in the be graded and slabbed it will probably come back as "cleaned" >:( When you find nice silver, the only thing recommended (to preserve the surfaces) is water and patience to remove the dirt.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at1cad said:
Nice coin, but I would never use baking soda. It cleans because it is abrasive and leaves fine scratches on the coin. If you choose to send it in the be graded and slabbed it will probably come back as "cleaned" >:( When you find nice silver, the only thing recommended (to preserve the surfaces) is water and patience to remove the dirt.

Hi at1cad,

Yes baking soda is abrasive, and using it improperly will severely damage a coin. There is however a way to do it safely. It requires extreme patience and a good amount of time.

Happy Hunting :icon_sunny:
Rick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread