wvmountaineers

Greenie
Apr 15, 2017
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New guy here, so I'd like to introduce myself first. Been lurking for a while and got a Garrett 400 about a month ago. Probably have about 12 hours with it, and man, am I addicted! Love this activity! My family has some land in West Virginia with some older buildings so I have been focused there.

No tremendous finds yet. Lots of trash to sort through. Today I went to a pile of rocks in the woods that I figured had to be an old foundation. Really a clean site, not much metal around. Got a strong signal and at 4 inches I found this bell. Clapper still intact. I'm assuming it's a cowbell? If anyone has seen one like this or has any info, I'd appreciate knowing a little history. From what I could gather on google, it's a cowbell that was made in the 1860-1865 range. Not sure of the accuracy or validity of that.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for all of the great information posted up here. I have learned so much from the members here. What a great forum! IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0278.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! I don't know much about bells, but the eagle on there, and the other decoration leads me to believe it might be more than just a cowbell. Can't wait to see what the experts say. I think that's a really cool find.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious so I looked around. I was suspecting it may be civil war related, and check this out: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492312899.501050.jpg

I believe this bell was used in the U.S. Camel Corps during the Civil War era. I had never even heard of the Camel Corps before, very interesting! Makes your bell even cooler.

Here is some more info:https://armyhistory.org/the-u-s-armys-camel-corps-experiment/

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome gorgeous bell/ Thanks for sharing your great find!!! Tommy

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bell is just insanely cool as heck. You for sure must be hooked for life to this great addiction of metal detecting. Even with that spot being pretty quiet I'd get back there to see if anything else related to the bell is resting under the sod. Welcome and congrats.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post wvmountaineers - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_outstanding.gif
2nd - Nice find!

OP
OP
W

wvmountaineers

Greenie
Apr 15, 2017
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. And thanks for the information. The camel corps is news to me . Never heard of it before. That would make for quite a story. I'm going to keep researching as best I can. And yes, I will definitely be heading back to that site, as well as a few other similar sites I have seen that were early settlements.

My main thoughts when I began metal detecting was finding old coins. This has turned my obsession in a totally new and unexpected direction. Haha

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bell is unreal. I agree with J Cache. I think its more than a cow bell. If it is a cow bell, that was one special cow !

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard and Congrats on that amazing bell!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
W

wvmountaineers

Greenie
Apr 15, 2017
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a toothbrush gently to it and cleaned it up a little . It appears to be silver or pewter to me. IMG_0283.JPG

Last edited:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Very cool find! Nice bell, congrats and HH

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum. That bell is special and a very nice find. I like finding old coins too, but the really great finds are the artifacts with the history. Congrats and good luck. Art

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a toothbrush gently to it and cleaned it up a little . It appears to be silver or pewter to me. View attachment 1440092

Not silver or pewter, closer to a Tombac type metal.

Don't believe everything on the Net, not saying it's isn't Camel Corp but you need more cross-referencing than that 1 site selling a bell. Good Luck.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great way to start. Awesome find!! Welcome to t-net and the addiction. [emoji482] [emoji106]

HH, RN

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not silver or pewter, closer to a Tombac type metal.

Don't believe everything on the Net, not saying it's isn't Camel Corp but you need more cross-referencing than that 1 site selling a bell. Good Luck.

Googling "camel corps bell" results in a lot of reliable sources with info on this bell, and the camel corps experiment.

If it's real it will be made of bronze

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an amazing find, resulting in an amazing history lesson. Big congratulation. Keep diggin'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread