wvmountaineers

Greenie
Apr 15, 2017
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New guy here, so I'd like to introduce myself first. Been lurking for a while and got a Garrett 400 about a month ago. Probably have about 12 hours with it, and man, am I addicted! Love this activity! My family has some land in West Virginia with some older buildings so I have been focused there.

No tremendous finds yet. Lots of trash to sort through. Today I went to a pile of rocks in the woods that I figured had to be an old foundation. Really a clean site, not much metal around. Got a strong signal and at 4 inches I found this bell. Clapper still intact. I'm assuming it's a cowbell? If anyone has seen one like this or has any info, I'd appreciate knowing a little history. From what I could gather on google, it's a cowbell that was made in the 1860-1865 range. Not sure of the accuracy or validity of that.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for all of the great information posted up here. I have learned so much from the members here. What a great forum! IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0278.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My revised story for getting into this sport was to find silver coins as I was going bankrupt purchasing them at auctions. Well, as many or most of us have realized once obtaining a metal detector Pandoras' Box gets blown wide open and a whole new world soon emerges before our eyes. Researching sights, gear, and countless hours of study goes into this "obsession". We all become a sort of Indiana Jones before long. If the bug doesn't bite you this hard you probably aren't a "real" treasure hunter. I believe you are on your way to becoming a real treasure hunter. Enjoy the ride mate.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Googling "camel corps bell" results in a lot of reliable sources with info on this bell, and the camel corps experiment.

If it's real it will be made of bronze
Good. Doesn't look very bronzey in the picture.:icon_scratch:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find, ide say civil war era bell. Most likely union. Beyond that you got me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread