My best find, goodwill makes for good luck

Shannon Conway

Greenie
Apr 8, 2013
My best find ever was pure luck. I went shopping at our local Goodwill store and while roaming the store I bumped into a big gray bin on the floor. I looked inside and sitting on top of pile of stuff was a beautiful Tramp Art box. I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. I asked the woman how much it cost and she told me $5. Needless to say it came home with me. I later had it appraised for $325. He offered to buy it from me. Gotta love it.

Attachments

• image-831584606.jpg
    image-831584606.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 458
  • image-2211888930.jpg
    image-2211888930.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 6

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great box! If the appraiser offered to buy it from you, that's always a flag. Have it appraised again at a different place. It's probably worth a lot more than the first appraiser told you. I have always refused to pay any appraiser who did that. I hurt a lot of feelings but they have always backed down. Very bad business ethics!

OP
OP
Shannon Conway

Shannon Conway

Greenie
Apr 8, 2013
Capt, I agree with you but this wasn't a formal appraisal. A friend of mine with an antique shop looked it for me and has a personal passion for folk art and tramp art. I can't sell it cause it reminds me of what a great find I have and it's a beautiful box.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that musta been a great high! And it's a great box! I agree with Capt-Zero -- appraisals are questionable when provided by an interested party. On that note, always be sure to pay for an appraisal (a value one).

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find!!! Get a second estimate!! Remember if you keep it please, please insure it. :thumbsup:

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love going thrift shopping, goodwill usually has some good treasures just waiting to be found by the right person. Great find!

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's because I live in the big city and they have lots of knowledgable staff, but I stopped going to goodwill here. It was nothing but junk. I used to live in a small town and would find bargains, but never have here.

OP
OP
Shannon Conway

Shannon Conway

Greenie
Apr 8, 2013
Our Goodwill people don't have clue about antiques or anything vintage, to them it was just a $5 box. Our Liberty store has knowledgable people but they don't seperate things by age or value. I do like my thrift stores.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread