My best find - so far!

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Hi, everyone!
It's been hotter than H. E. double hockey sticks here in Central Florida, but I was jonesing today to do some detectin' and I couldn't wait for the beach this weekend. So, I took my lunch hour and hit a community center about a mile from work. In about 20 minutes I had found six quarters - which was kind of a surprise - one penny and a dime that had been worked over by a lawnmower. Even with all the heat it was nice to get outside and enjoy our hobby. I was almost ready to call it quits when I decided to check out the area around the actual community center. No sooner had I made that decision then my detector started going all haywire. Dang! Dying batteries! There was just enough left in her to give out a weak erratic tone that I stooped to check out. And to my delight, I found an earring - with an opal center - what appears to be diamonds - in a gold setting! I cleaned it up and squinted till I was almost blind, trying to find any sort of telltale mark on it... I DID see an incredibly tiny .925 on the post - and a mark that read NV inside the ring. I know that the .925 means silver... but this piece looks like gold. At any rate - it's my best find so far and I wanted to share it with all of you.
Ruth

Attachments

• Opal earring 2.jpg
    Opal earring 2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 573
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Ruth.

I'm Glad you got out.

Congrats & HH

Jeff

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Beautiful little find,
made the workday afternoon smiles larger,
congrats and good luck this weekend.

Smiles!
BDoo

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sweet! :o Looks like a decent sized earring.Nice find Ruth.I know what you mean about H E double hockeysticks.It was already 90 down here at 9:30 this morning.It was probably hotter up there in the interior.I know, I used to live in Orlando back in the early 80's.Congrats on the find.It's always good to here from you.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Congrats on the find! .925 does signify sterling. I've dug a ring or two that came out of the ground looking a bit gold, but a quick clean-up usually restores the silver color. Think it has something to do with the copper content.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SaintSea, I know some opals come from nevada, so that might be where the nv comes into play. Nice find. It's not that hot is it? I keep saying at work "I'm done with the sauna part of the spa visit when is the massage" ;D Man, it's steamy out.

OP
OP
SaintSea

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Thanks for all the comments! The batteries are energizing in the charger and we'll all be ready for our next outing! Let's hope the weather is agreeable enough for some time at the beach this weekend. I don't mind rain, but we've been having some real "toad stranglers" here lately!
HH all!
Ruth

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SaintSea said:
Thanks for all the comments! The batteries are energizing in the charger and we'll all be ready for our next outing! Let's hope the weather is agreeable enough for some time at the beach this weekend. I don't mind rain, but we've been having some real "toad stranglers" here lately!
HH all!
Ruth

Send it up here to Strangle a Few :P

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Beautiful ring Saint...Those opals are really nice.....Thanks for sharing and I agree,,,send some strangles my way.....

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Ruth!! :o Beautiful find!!!!

Good luck for the weekend too!!!!

Nana ;)