mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the woods hunting behind a old chuch. this place dates back to 1830. I have hunted this place before and have turned up seated coins, and barbers. But today was my best ever. After being there around a hour Iget a iffy signal jumping from foil to coil so since I wasn't finding much trash I decided to dig it. I had a real hard time finding this thing. It was my first ever 3 cent silver peice. I could not beleive how small this thing is. So after getting settle down I started hunting again. I hunted for maybe 2 more hours ad I get a big scream on the DfX saying 97 and dollar. So I dug a big plug and about 6 inches down I saw silver man was I excited. I could see a person on it I early p____ myself. I got home and put my coins in some water and let them soaked for a couple of hours. I got out a old brush and gentle remove the dirt. I couple not beleive I found a seated dollar but on the back of it it says Trade Dollar it is a 1873 I can not find a mint mark on it. The 3 cent silver as far as I can tell is a 1853. I can say this is the best day of my detecting years. Sorry for only 1 pic right now I must have taken 30 pictures of these coins and I can only get 1 to turn out. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope this pic is good for you to see them. The dollar has a lot of scratches on it but stll I will take it.....Matt

Attachments

• DSCF3215.JPG
    DSCF3215.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,123
Upvote 0
Good find, and even better that you found it deep with other old coins in the vicinity, because the Chinese are pumping out fakes of those trade dollars like crazy.

That's a nice find for sure. As for the pics- If your camera doesn't have a macro setting, try using a magnifying glass up against the camera lens, works for me.

Nice find :icon_thumleft: did you look to see if it was 1873 CC ? on the reverse if so that is big bucks :thumbsup: Dd60

AWESOME! What a great day. Congrats. I love it when somebody in the Midwest finds something so cool. The trade dollar has to be very unusual and a great prize. I am still waiting for a three cent piece and your finds give me some hope. Thanks, for posting.

Don
HH

wow very nice... I'm jealous! LOL great finds!

Nice trade dollar. Thats a rare find with a detector. :thumbsup:

Very very nice!!! :hello2: :hello2:
You're right those 3 cent silvers are tiny!!!!
The one I found last years still makes me smile :tongue3:
The trade dollar I would have wet myself ::)
Way to go ^5
HH
GL
Dan

Thats Better than a seated dollar.. :o thats a Trade Dollar !! :icon_thumleft:

Awesome finds great Job !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Congrats on a superior coin!!!!!!!!!!!! I have only seen one other Trade Dollar found with a detector, and it was posted on here from Louisana.
Your find gives me hope to find one in Ohio also. Get some better pics, and I bet it will be on the banner!!!!!! My vote is in.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

pointdlr said:
Congrats on a superior coin!!!!!!!!!!!! I have only seen one other Trade Dollar found with a detector, and it was posted on here from Louisana.
Your find gives me hope to find one in Ohio also. Get some better pics, and I bet it will be on the banner!!!!!! My vote is in.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

sweet, sweet silver. i'll throw you a banner nod with some better pics! (reverse too, please)

That's a seriously BANNER find ! In several years I think I've seen maybe two trade dollars
dug and posted here . There have been more gold coins - by a long way - posted , than
trade dollars . Great find !!! Argentium.

Two great finds. :thumbsup: A Trade dollar would look nice on the Banner. Got better pics?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back