MY BEST King George III 1773 Virginia HalfPenny...

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was dug today!!! :o :headbang: We returned to the site where I dug the 1720s Leopold I Silver last week. We had hit the yard pretty hard then but we figured we would go over there and try to sniff a couple more signals out today as we only had a couple hours to hunt. After about 10 minutes there I got a pretty bad signal that was hitting "irony" one way and +57 the other...but I decided to dig it anyway because I've dug some really nice stuff that's hit REALLY BAD in the past.....When I popped the plug this is what I saw:

1773 Virginia Halfpenny (Only Coin minted for the colonies in the Mother Country of England at the Tower Mint)

Out of the Ground
MD Pics 415.jpg

(Please excuse Pic, my DV is dying thanks to dirt getting into it)
MD Pics 418.jpg

MD Pics 421.jpg

Close-ups
MD Pics 403.jpg

MD Pics 405.jpg

MD Pics 435.jpg

MD Pics 444.jpg

MD Pics 441.jpg

Closeup of the "17" and "73" on either side of the crown
MD Pics 411.jpg

VIDEO

There were about 640,000 of these minted and this is by FAR the best one that I've ever seen or dug....

Video being uploaded and will be posted as soon as it gets done :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats man,

That is a great coin. These are the reasons we hunt. To hit those rare one's at times in great shape. You guys are making some great early finds.

HH Jer

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put this man out he's on fire :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet KG III Josh! It amazes me the condition of everything you guys dig. Keep em coming buddy. :thumbsup:

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin and I think you may have helped me solve one of my mystery coins in terrible shape. All I can make out on mine is the bust, just barely, with the greatest detail being the bottom of the bust. Did this coin come in different sizes though? Mine seems to be a smaller diameter, about the diameter of an Matron LC but thinner.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a BEAUTY!!! Congratulations! The Hogge :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Iron Patch said:
cabinfever said:
Another lesson to us beginners....dig everything! :tongue3:

I think the lesson is forget your screen and rely on your ears, and dig anything close. If a large copper like that can be iffy, how's all the smaller stuff sounding, or coming in on the meter? I can only speak for my detector, but the most masked targets probably wouldn't even register. They're just a subtle speck of a sound in a mess of noise/signals/sounds.

Mixed mode on your DFX, Iron Patch!

That is a great old penny. That one will be a joy for the rest of your life. The strong details and the nice patina rock.

I think you should keep using your broken camera. Mine is doing the same thing, and this way we could start a trend while saving money!

Or you could just be a killjoy and SCAN everything. :laughing9:

Great find, Josh! I have seen only one nicer dug in my life--and it didn't have as much detail. It was a greenie dug by my mentor in Virginia 20 years ago.

-Buck

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing shape...wish half my coins came out that way..congrats :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
put this man out he's on fire :thumbsup:
:toothy2: :toothy2: :blob8: Thanks Cru, I really wasn't expecting this coin to pop out...I knew there
were still a few good signals left in there to dig but like I said, we had hit it Hard.....this was definitely beyond what I thought was left in there....but you know how it is....could probably go back there today and sniff another good signal that wasn't heard yesterday; that's how it goes sometimes.

robfinds said:
Sentinel I didn't know this kind of coin existed , brilliant find :icon_thumright:keep going :hello2:

Thanks Rob :icon_thumleft: :wink:

BuckleBoy said:
plehbah said:
Iron Patch said:
cabinfever said:
Another lesson to us beginners....dig everything! :tongue3:

I think the lesson is forget your screen and rely on your ears, and dig anything close. If a large copper like that can be iffy, how's all the smaller stuff sounding, or coming in on the meter? I can only speak for my detector, but the most masked targets probably wouldn't even register. They're just a subtle speck of a sound in a mess of noise/signals/sounds.

Mixed mode on your DFX, Iron Patch!

That is a great old penny. That one will be a joy for the rest of your life. The strong details and the nice patina rock.

I think you should keep using your broken camera. Mine is doing the same thing, and this way we could start a trend while saving money!

Or you could just be a killjoy and SCAN everything. :laughing9:

Great find, Josh! I have seen only one nicer dug in my life--and it didn't have as much detail. It was a greenie dug by my mentor in Virginia 20 years ago.

-Buck

Thanks Buck!

This one is pretty darn green as well, I bet if I put oil on it, it would light up like a Christmas tree. When I dug it and showed Jeff, you could see the deep forrest green patina when it was still wet from the soil.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Man, I love the Virginia Halfpennies.. and that is one of the nicer ones I have seen dug!! congrats!! You are having a banner year!! ;-)

MB

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o , that is a nice one . Wish the one I dug looked like yours ! Quality , Banner coin , J

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MonkeyBoy said:
Man, I love the Virginia Halfpennies.. and that is one of the nicer ones I have seen dug!! congrats!! You are having a banner year!! ;-)

MB

Thanks MonkeyBoy, I doubt I'll dig one like that again for a long time....The site that I'm digging at has a different composition to its dirt; its very pure and refined, almost like powdered sugar and I think that has much to do with how this coin has managed to stay in such great shape ALSO, I believe this coin was standing on edge in the ground rather than laying face up or down. :icon_thumright:

CMDiamonddawg said:
:o , that is a nice one . Wish the one I dug looked like yours ! Quality , Banner coin , J
Thanks Dawg, Hail, I wish the other ones I dug looked like this one, I'm still pretty amazed this came out in this good of shape...soon as I dug it I yelled out to Jeff to come over and see it...Both of us were blown away by the detail on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread