Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not expecting a lot of traffic when the title has the words "best nail" in it but after this many years of detecting, it's all about unique finds for me.
I'm doing good in the gold, silver and relic department this year so far but my first post in long time will be about a nail. Lol.

Now most times I will be discriminating nails out but at really old sites with nice soil conditions, I love adding nice rose head nails to the collection and at fur trade sites, sometimes nails have been utilized into fish hooks, awls, or flattened as a makeshift screw driver to work on flint locks, etc.

At mid-19th century sites I'm more selective on ferrous targets but I will pick up a few things laying on the surface like these large nails right here.....

P1190356.JPG
One measures at 8 and the other at 6 inches long. I see these often but thought I would take a couple better examples home last year.

The other day, I found one of those 8 inch nails that had been made into something pretty sweet.....

P1190347.JPG

This is how it looked before I did a light cleaning on it.

P1190349.JPG

Never would I imagine finding such a cool hammer (cobbler?) with the handle being made from a nail.

P1190362.JPG

This would have been the 8 inch spike that lost an inch from hammering the tip here....

P1190374.JPG

P1190367.JPG

P1190368.JPG

P1190371.JPG

I actually used a similar cobbler hammer to tap out the rust on this nail hammer but it's not as cool.
I think I'll have to start using my "nail hammer" from now on!
Re-purpose a re-purposed find! 8-)

Upvote 23

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that chisel tip, I’d tend to call those spikes.

Neat relic hammer. Those are the best types of finds.

chriskaroet

Greenie
Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any tips regarding where i could find such burried things :'D

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAUDIGGER, you nailed it! Lol. I agree, it's technically a spike.

chriskaroet, I found this at a site that produced a lot of finds from the early to late 1800's that is cultivated every year.
Plowed fields are excellent places to easily dig up targets. After most of the non-ferrous targets are plucked out, I tend to try out some larger ferrous signals.
Most iron targets are junk (to me) but the odd time a nice axe, tool, gun parts, etc. come into the keeper pile.
If it's an early site then I'll dig more iron signals. The hand forged implements are higher in quality and can come out nice.
Make sure you're enjoying what you're doing otherwise, dig the better signals.
Happy hunting!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are cribbing spikes, used to connect logs/lumber together. I have found the majority of my cribbing spikes along old logging RR grades where they made temporary bridges over springs or small streams.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s awesome!!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome personal relic recovery! :occasion14:

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome looking relic.

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love digging hand made nails, I just dug one last weekend and it was copper, I keep it too, nice find

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
That little hammer is pretty sweet! The handle may have been wrapped with leather or cloth to make it more comfortable to use......IMHO

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool! Thanks for the post!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting