My best Snyder

TL Missouri

Dec 31, 2006
Just thought I would share some pictures of some finds. This is a personal find of mine. It was found in july 1997 and was a creek find. It was covered with sand except a small amount of the tail sticking out. thanks for looking TL. We still have about 6in. of snow on the ground and going to get down to zero tonite. so I cant get out to look

a019.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TL thats a nice Snyder. Looks perfect. Low 20's here with a blue moon rising. Heading to the mtns in 6 hours for an all day stand. Thanks for sharin your point and look forward to seeing some more when the snow melts :icon_sunny:
HH
TnMountains

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Nice point, good to see another Mo. hunter. John

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Nice and good to see similar pieces from close by. Heres my only snyder found in a small stream about a mile up a small stream from a river in Southeast Iowa. Anyone got any more specific info on the "snyder type"? Areas its been found, or cultures that made it?

Attachments

• snyder.jpg
    snyder.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 240

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
all_atv said:
Nice and good to see similar pieces from close by. Heres my only snyder found in a small stream about a mile up a small stream from a river in Southeast Iowa. Anyone got any more specific info on the "snyder type"? Areas its been found, or cultures that made it?

The furthest west that I'm familiar with them being found is NC Oklahoma and into KS. They are middle Woodland period Hopewell culture. They are not only a type, but a cluster. Other points of the Snyders cluster include: Mackinaw, Norton, Gibson, Grand, Carter, Manker, and a few others. Although the "North" is often considered a preform for them by many collectors, they are instead a Hopewell knife (as Cobbs is to Dovetail, as Wadlow is to Etley, etc). It's debatable as to the eastward range of the Snyders, although the Hopewell culture itself extends well into Ohio, western PA, etc. There are a few differences between eastern and western Hopewell which I could go on all day about, but will spare you. Hopewell technology was unsurpassed and you will find some of the greatest innovations in pre-history came from those great mound-builders. They had extensive trade routes and you will often find their artifacts made of materials not indigenous to their area.

It's also been said that they had smelly feet, big ears, juggled possums with their feet and pioneered the game of "toss the Anasazi" - ok, maybe not.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Neanderthal said:
all_atv said:

The furthest west that I'm familiar with them being found is NC Oklahoma and into KS. They are middle Woodland period Hopewell culture. They are not only a type, but a cluster. Other points of the Snyders cluster include: Mackinaw, Norton, Gibson, Grand, Carter, Manker, and a few others. Although the "North" is often considered a preform for them by many collectors, they are instead a Hopewell knife (as Cobbs is to Dovetail, as Wadlow is to Etley, etc). It's debatable as to the eastward range of the Snyders, although the Hopewell culture itself extends well into Ohio, western PA, etc. There are a few differences between eastern and western Hopewell which I could go on all day about, but will spare you. Hopewell technology was unsurpassed and you will find some of the greatest innovations in pre-history came from those great mound-builders. They had extensive trade routes and you will often find their artifacts made of materials not indigenous to their area.

It's also been said that they had smelly feet, big ears, juggled possums with their feet and pioneered the game of "toss the Anasazi" - ok, maybe not.
very nice snyders points TL mo,all atv,why spare us matt?the hopewell culture was deeply entrenched here in Ohio and some believe this area was the epicenter for that culture,I wouldnt mind hearing the differences from east to west. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions