My best water hunting find thus far!

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months back I was hunting at a New Hampshire beach with my Excal. I had a good feeling about the day, because just 5 minutes in I got my first signal which turned out to be an encrusted Mercury dime. At that point I had a gut feeling that told me I needed to make my way into the water. As soon as I got in, I looked down and saw a piece of aluminum trash, I scooped it up and put it in my trash pouch to get the garbage out of the way.
Only a few steps and swings later, I got a blasting signal that I had to dig. I took my first big scoop, and no target was to be seen. I swung the coil over the area again, and the signal got even louder, I scooped down again, and still nothing in the scoop. I had to repeat swinging over the area and scooping a total of 5 times before I finally had the target! I looked into my scoop and saw a huge piece of chain hanging out, the rest of it was still covered in muck. I slowly started pulling out the chain and couldn't believe how heavy it was. I finally got to the end of the chain and saw a medallion attached. I didn't know what this peculiar chain with pendant was at the time of recovery but I knew it had to be something special. It turned out to be an old Knights Templar 25[SUP]th[/SUP] degree Masonic watch fob and chain. There were 2 types of gold used, 14k rose gold and 14k yellow gold. The weight of all the gold is 1.685 Troy ounces. This beautiful old find is the best I've ever made. I'm hoping to top this find some day :).
Steve

Attachments

• back of masonic cross 4:7:12.jpg
    back of masonic cross 4:7:12.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 206
  • front of masonic cross 4:7:12.jpg
    front of masonic cross 4:7:12.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 4:7:2012 first and best masonic find.jpg
    4:7:2012 first and best masonic find.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 254
  • whole chain with cross 4:7:12.jpg
    whole chain with cross 4:7:12.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice and very unusual find.You can say you found a one of a kind find!!:icon_thumright:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome - its cool - its old - its gold - we dont get enough stuff up on the banner from here
Im gonna vote for it for the banner :wav:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
That is a very special gold find. Congrats

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'd be oh so happy to scoop that one up... congrats to you.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
BANNER I SAY!!! Steve that day was such a RUSH!!! When you came over to me you were shaking...when you dropped that in my hand I was like OMG this is gold or lead!! When I looked in my hand and saw all that gold...I was so pumped for you!! WTG buddy!! Then I wanted to hit you with my scoop and take off with it!!! LOL! You have come such a long way in a short time. Lets hope the gold keeps comming! See you Saturday!! LIKE I SAID BANNER FIND!!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a super find. Its nice to see these kind of finds gives us all hope for tomorrow. One of the best finds ive seen in awhile.

Dew

OP
OP
S

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER I SAY!!! Steve that day was such a RUSH!!! When you came over to me you were shaking...when you dropped that in my hand I was like OMG this is gold or lead!! When I looked in my hand and saw all that gold...I was so pumped for you!! WTG buddy!! Then I wanted to hit you with my scoop and take off with it!!! LOL! You have come such a long way in a short time. Lets hope the gold keeps comming! See you Saturday!! LIKE I SAID BANNER FIND!!
George, I'm very lucky to have good friends and teachers like you, Gary and a few others who have helped me start finding good stuff more consistently. Looking forward to seeing you extend your gold streak Saturday, and I need to get back on track and start my own gold streak. It's been too long!

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Steve...Ya right your about 80 grams ahead of me in the gold finding this year!! Your on track!! Your like one of those bullet trains thats jumped right off the track!! you scooped up a new EXCAL-II in one scoop!!...You got a gold signet ring that night also!! see you Saturday!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one hell of a find,a piece of gold that size is still on my wish list.:icon_thumleft:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Oh, My Goodness!!! What a beautiful gold find!!

Congratulations on fine detecting!

Keep 'em comin'

Lorraine

OP
OP
S

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for the kind words. I have been an active member at another forum for a few years now. Shortly after the beginning of the year I started seeing things change a lot over there, and I really disliked it. I made a decision back then to stop posting finds because I really didn't feel like it was a positive environment anymore. I was pretty disappointed with what was going on. I've felt really comfortable here in the short time I've been checking it out. I like how this forum has so many diverse topics, and it just has a more welcoming and positive feel to it, so I decided to make my first thread here about the find that held the most meaning to me. I look forward to posting more here in the future, and seeing all the great stuff being found by the rest of you! Steve

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! hope the bigger one comes soon 4 u

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree...Great find. As a Mason myself, I'd be thrilled with this find. BANNER!!!!

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
NICE!! I HOPE IT MAKES THE BANNER!! I HELD THIS FIND IN MY HAND...ONE OF THE BEST BEACH FINDS I EVER SAW...PLEASE PEOPLE VOTE THIS FOR THE BANNER!! STEVE IS A GREAT GUY WITH A HEART OF GOLD...GET HIM TO THE BANNER!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread