My Bounty Hunter Red Baron VLF/SPD Detector

bobhart67

Aug 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really made a lot of great finds in the 70's and 80's with my detector. In fact the day I purchased this detector I found a 22k gold ring while demonstrating to a friend how easy it was to null out the metal when looking next to a dumpster. Just today I found it and noticed that the two battery holders need to be replaced and I am wondering if anyone out there knows where I can purchase replacements.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Rusty Henry at Tesoro in Prescott, AZ. He and Jack Gifford were both at Bounty Hunter when Jack helped design the Red Baron

abosco

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check online for best prices. I always find parts like this on eBay or amazon. Good luck!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

OP
OP
B

bobhart67

Aug 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks great to be here. I am from both Massachusetts and Arizona, but most detecting in East, very little here in AZ

OP
OP
B

bobhart67

Aug 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks found the battery holders, but still looking for a slip ring in my head pole. Cannot lock length and pole falls out.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the team ... :wav:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

traveler113

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Bounty Hunter Red Baron VLF SPD in excellent condition. I used rechargeable batteries in it back in the early 80's. I got it at cost while working at Lockheed in Sunnyvale. The company was testing a spacecraft we were putting on the shuttle and offered red barons at cost to the guys working the project. I believe that cost was $200.00 at the time, but I could be wrong. I'm wondering what it would be worth today. I just bought a Tracker IV for my nephew and I'm picking up a Garrett AT Pro. I thought it would be fun to dig out the old Red Baron and fire it up. I've heard that many old timers prefer the analog devices.

Last edited:

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I'm fairly new to this forum, and just discovered this thread about the Bounty Hunter Red Baron. Probably too late to make any difference in your quest for parts. I have two Old Red Barons. I got the first one in about 1978 or so. I used the heck out of that thing. Still have it. But never use it any longer. I found a second one at a garage sale some years ago. I think I paid about $100.00 for the first one, and $10.00 for the second one. Both still work. In regards to the battery holder or clips. My detectors both use 9vdc batteries. I guess this was before they started using the 1.5 vdc batteries. Also, about the slip ring problem. I had the same issue at one time. But in my case I found that the plastic slip ring had just slid up into the shaft. Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents. Oh...I now use the AT Pro, and as a backup, I use the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505.

EDITED 10 minutes later: I just discovered that my detectors were call TR 550-D. But I still believe they were called Red Barons.

thanks found the battery holders, but still looking for a slip ring in my head pole. Cannot lock length and pole falls out.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread