Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 30 years old and my brother Nathaniel is 28 years old. As you know a few weeks ago he had a lump on his neck so he went in to have it checked out, well yesterday I found out by my ma that it is cancer. She said the type but I cannot remember what it is. The weird thing is that nowhere in my family have we ever had any cancer, we have a long history of diabetes and heart attacks but not cancer. It’s not spreading but it’s on his neck on the nerve wall next to his corroded artery. Sometime this week he is going to Rush University Medical Center here in Chicago to see a neuro surgeon to have it cut out. His doctor referred him to them because he will have nerve damage as a result of the operation and he is un-sure where it will effect him. They can't leave it in because it’s putting pressure on his corroted artery and if they do nothing it can cause it to burst. He told my parents not to tell anybody about this, not even me as he is a very secretive person and doesn't want anyone to worry about him.

The crappy thing is that he doesn't smoke at all or drink that often where as I smoke all the time, chew tobacco, and up until this year drank a lot.

I want to call him and talk to him but I know he would know that I knew and that our parents told me and I don't want him to get mad or anything because I know he must be freaking out right now. I don't think I have ever called him just to chat so if I did he would know something was up. If he ever needed anything I was there and vise versa. Trying to take my mind off of all of this I went out MD'ng/bottle digging today with L4S, Dub, & CladTheImpaler but just walking through the woods all's I could do was think about my brother, you know memories about growing up, stuff like that. I did shoot some video but I couldn't concentrate on detecting and just found 3 wheaties and no bottles that I kept. I put on an act like nothing was wrong but all's I kept thinking about is my brother, I don't know if I will add the video to YouTube or not. Anyways I had to get this off my chest...

This is one of those time where if there was a way that I could trade places with somebody I would do it in a heartbeat...

4597274365_eecaf5540d_o.jpg

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your brother. Talk to your brother before he goes for surgery even if only to say "hey".

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know we're all behind ya bud, and we'll keep him in our prayers. If ya ever need anything, you know where I live.

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay Cool my man ...

It's at times like this your brother will need you the most ...

Take this to heart, he and all involved will be in our thoughts & prayers.

~ Al

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
hope all goes well for him. modern medicine works miracles these days.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
call him and talk....
My prayers are being sent.
Be honest and tell him you know. It will help him too. At least then you both can get things out and not hold them in....

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
DP BOB said:
call him and talk....
My prayers are being sent.
Be honest and tell him you know. It will help him too. At least then you both can get things out and not hold them in....
Yes, I agree with Bob on this one - no matter how you do it, you should get with him on this one because it's something that no one should go through alone.

It sounds like the problem is isolated in one spot, so that's a plus. They can do wonders in the operating room these days. My prayers are sent for your family, Kermit!

windycity

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2006
Kermit,
Our thought and prayers go to you an your family.
I agree with everyone else, talk to your brother, he needs you.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I'm with the others on this, you need to talk to him. I'm sure he's scared right now, with the not knowing.
just let him know that you're there and give him any and all support that he needs. he may not thank you now
but you can bet he won't forget that you offered.
I can understand what's on your mind, it basically feels like you're walking in a fog with no sense of direction,
make sure that you get lots of rest, because, believe it or not, it will exhaust you the same.
my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your brother in your time of need
please keep us informed

Sniffer

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Praying for you and your brother and your family Kermit. We are behind you here as others have said. You know the situation best, so I trust you will make the correct decision concerning your brother, but also I think that Bob and Neil may be correct. Your Brother probably does need support. He may be angry that you were told, but that anger will be toward your mom, but that's sometimes part of being a parent and loving their children and sometimes needs out weigh wants. That's sometimes why families can be a messy thing, but your bro does need support right now.
-Jon

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's never good when anybody gets cancer,my wife has a brain tumor and we chose radiation over surgery,the RAD. has stop ed the growth but it's still in there,the one thing that I should tell you is have him try and save as much money between now and the time he has to have surgery,we had insurance and we still had to file for Chapter7,we had over $75,000 in bills. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
If your brother is anything like you Kermit he'll do just fine no matter what the problem is. Now you just do the right thing, just pick the best time. Its good to be "there" for family.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geeze Kermit, I was hoping to hear better news. . . I'm really sorry to hear this.
Like others have said, talk to him. . . better now than wishing you hadn't later.

My thought's and prayers are with you.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope for the best Kermit, you will give him the support he will need from his brother.

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
I hope and pray everything will be OK Kermit. I hope you find the right time to talk to your brother.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm real sorry to hear about that Kermit. I Have a younger brother (a year younger) and it would be hard to deal with news like that. Stay positive though, they work wonders with cancer nowadays. The cure rate in the US is phenomenal. I would also talk to him, he's your little brother and whatever anger he would have about it would last about 1 minute. It's a time for a family to unite and I'm sure he'll appreciate it. I'll pray for good news for you and your family.
John

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Prayers sent that everything works out for the best! Keep us updated... :thumbsup:

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kermit..I have not been in contact with you much & now I will tell you why..You knew we were supposed to be closing on a house soon..But what I did not tell you is..Last month..My wife found out she has Lung Cancer..I have been spending alot more time with her ,and she will be going to the U of C,to get a 2nd Biopsy to see how they are going to treat it..
She has been real broke up & crying alot,and all I can do is try to let her know that she is going to be around for a long time..But it seems like she is giving up before the fight has even started..
Spend more time with your brother & see if you can get him to open up to you ..I am sure he does want to talk..
Best of Luck to Him..And You TF.....Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread