My Changing Hobbies

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have too many hobbies. I switch back and forth when I get bored. I bought my first detector in '81, a White's 5000-D Series 2. I still have it and I think it still works. I never found too much back then, got bored and moved on. Does the old White's have any value?

I bought a sawmill in 2012 and have been milling walnut for gunstocks ever since. I hit a few nails and decided to buy a new detector. I bought a Garret Ace 250. While scanning logs I tried it in the pasture and found a 50's nickel. So now I have the bug for digging coins and relics again.

I hunt arrowheads and was talking to a collector friend that lives in Clarksville, TN. I told him I wanted to get a good detector and start hunting metal again. He said c'mon down. His moms house sits right on Riggins Hill, where one of the battles of Clarksville was fought on Sept. 7, 1862. He grew up there and said to his knowledge it's never been dug. YeeHaw! Planning to go in 2 or 3 weeks.

I plan on buying a good detector and will make my choice based on what other forum members finds dictate. And that is one reason why I registered here. The Deus XP seems to be leading the pack with Garret AT in second.

Great crowd, so many amazing finds here. I hope to someday be able to post something good myself. Gary

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have too many hobbies.
I soooo resemble that remark!! Sigh....
Too many $$ spent on various hobbies...Always going overboard on equipment, and then not using half of it. Examples:
Woodworking shop in my garage worth about 80K. Haven't cut any wood in months! All Festool, Italian, Austrian, and other top line equipment that sits for months without being used. Sigh...
Photography: Pro-level cameras and lenses. Use them, but not nearly as much as I had anticipated. Three high-end Canon DSLR's plus 9 "L" lenses. One Pro Videocam, and two prosumers. (Haven't shot any video with any of them in months) Sigh...
Gardening: Not so much the $$ as much as just no time to keep up with it. Sigh...
Treasure Hunting: Every chance I get, but difficult to get out more frequently. Garrett-Loyalist. GTI 2500, ACE 300 (son's), Pulling the trigger on the AT Max next week, PP AT, coils coils coils! Focusing on this hobby for many reasons including health, wealth, and wisdom!

My wife thinks I need to downsize the stuff I don't use. What the heck does SHE know!! Grrrr! :BangHead: As soon as you get rid of something...that's exactly the moment you needed it. Sigh...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Lots of luck with the new Garrett and at the dig site.:thumbsup:

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I can't believe it!!! I thought I was the only one.. :laughing7:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard from CT. Good Luck on that hunt!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Illinois for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Down_n_Dirty65

Feb 27, 2018
MA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a similar story but I figured out that recently my hobbies have been geocaching, got my LTC (ccw), and most recently got back into metal detecting which I tried when I was younger... which can all be used together!! LOL!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I also have too many hobbies.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from the Shenandoah Valley of VA! On the machine, figure out what you want it to do, compare specs and features of the ones you are looking at, test swing any you can get your hands on or down to the local dealer or a buddies to try and go from there. As long as you have a little time to decide and then check for the good deal on the detector (note, the dealers on this site may offer a deal or package on what you are going with so check with them too), make use of it and get any accessories you think you may need. Good Luck, Happy Hunting and let us know how the hunt goes!:icon_thumright:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello and Welcome from Southeast Louisiana... "D"

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters -- welcome to our community!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Welcome from Northern Virginia!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread