My cleaning methods and the results

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
A few months ago I bought silver cleaning wipes in the jewelry section at walmart under $5.00 just to clean up some 40% kennedy halves. After a while I started to experment with other coins the results are good. After examing the before and after results the cleaning method didn't leave swirl marks neither caused extra wear. Pennies where an exception to the rule. Even though they looked brand new it did slightly off color the copper pre82s. The years 83 and newer seem to done much better. Clad nickel, dimes, quarters, halves, Ikes was a grand slam home run. Sacagawea, presidental coins where another winner in my book.

Here's a break down
Kennedy halves 64-69 I had plenty that look like crap badly tarnished the cleaning wipes done a great job. Thumbs up great mint luster no swirl marks, no wear, no pitting.

Clad coins 2 thumbs up brilliant shine on most but there were plenty that was too far circulated to make a reasonable results.

Presidental, sacagawea: This was my biggest surprise I've just done a few that look like the average circulated dollar coin. Most of them I've done were just dullness with light scratches. The results left the coins back to the original mint luster with the acception of light scatches that the cloth couldn't do nothing about.

Pennies: Even though this cloth will clean any coin back to a mint luster look I wouldn't advice trying this on key dates like early wheaties. Yes the pennies I clean did come back to a mint lust but you will encounter a slight off-color that could hurt the value of the coin. My advice avoid key dates a slight discoloration could hurt the value of the coin.

I've also done a merc. 1940 xf condition good results came back to a mint luster.

If you like to try this method start out on clad coins and newer dollar coins. Then if you are satisfied try the older coins (silver) but make sure it's not a key date I've only done this on kennedys.

This is not an advice for key dates or valuable coins just for common newer ones. (64-newer).

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I will try this too.

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip. Never hurts to have a variety of cleaning mthods around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread