Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, first off, you should cull out any coins and especially so Copper plated Zinc Cents that are damaged and/or heavily corroded and put them aside for sticking them randomly in rolls to cash in at your Bank. Next, you should pull out all of the 1982-P & D Cents, weigh each to determine if they are Copper or Copper plated Zinc Cents, then determine which are Small Date and which are Large Date. The 1982-P & D Cents are collectible as sets and some individually. After that, check all of the coins including the 1982-P & D Cents for Doubled Dies and Errors as well as the mint marked coins for RPM's (Repunched Mintmark Varieties) and 2x2 any of these found. Once you are finished, then you can turn to the 2x2'd coins to Attribute the Varieties or Errors.

I will recommend that in the future, do not place Lincoln Cents in with Nickels, Dimes, Quarters and any Half Dollars and especially so the Copper plated Zinc Cents as they can cause damage, unsightly stains and verdigris on Clad and even Silver coins as they degrade. I would also recommend sorting the Copper Cents from the Copper plated Zinc Cents and keep them separate as the Copper plated Zinc Cents can do damage to the Copper one's as they degrade. I learned the hard way and once when I opened a bag in which I had stored some pocket change for a long time, I found that a lot of the coins were wet, stained, corroded and/or had verdigris on them. This was probably due to reactions of contaminants on the coins as well as possible reactions between the Zinc of the Copper plated Zinc Cents and the Clad coins.

Frank

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the spare change to buy some books on coin collecting, read them and gain a lot of knowledge. Take the books you purchased and sell them as gently used, take the money from the gently used books and pair it with the knowledge you gained to make money. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread