my coin comparitor

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
Upvote 0

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I've realized I'm no good at building things lol first off helps to have the right tools.
My box is almost complete. Can't wait to start sorting
I sorted a little bit holding it up right with bags under the comparitor not an easy feat but let me tune it and it works great ill post an update soon

Definitely want to hear about the finished product and see a picture.

Congrats on your progress.

OP
OP
B

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
It's nothing really to look at lol trying to locate a cheap coin rolling machine now gunna take it apart and use as my hopper lol

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool....post some pics when ya can. Hey BCD11, Im still working on a write up for the CMI Comp., should be getting with you soon.

Novapax

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
It's nothing really to look at lol trying to locate a cheap coin rolling machine now gunna take it apart and use as my hopper lol

Here's as cheap as it gets. Money Miser Coin Sorter . Under $10 with the HF coupon.

I made a working sorter from this piece of junk and all it really accomplished was to convince me to do it right and use a real hopper. I would put about $2 face value in it at a time. I rewired it to run off of a 5V wall wart rather than internal batteries. That made it a bit faster. I made a coin slide/chute completely out of metalic/foil tape and cardboard. I mounted the comparator into a floppy disk drive holder from a tower PC. I cut a slot in the bottom of that HF coin counter/roller to fit over the drive holder. It was quite the creation and it did function. I wish I had taken a photo of it before disposing of it. I did however just exhume its remains for some forensic photos - mainly to give BCD11 a chuckle.

I suppose there is middle ground between the HF toy and a slot machine hopper. I for one love creative solutions so keep us posted.

Attachments

• IMG_8423.JPG
    IMG_8423.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8424.JPG
    IMG_8424.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
B

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
That's exactly what I was looking for cheap and works lol nice to know I'm not the only one that though a sorter like this would work

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
It was quite the creation and it did function. I wish I had taken a photo of it before disposing of it. I did however just exhume its remains for some forensic photos - mainly to give BCD11 a chuckle.

I suppose there is middle ground between the HF toy and a slot machine hopper. I for one love creative solutions so keep us posted.

LOL!! Thanks madwest and congrats on your creativeness! There definitely is a "ground" although I'm not sure it's middle...or on the same continent for that matter. That hallowed ground is 3 gallon frosting tubs available at bakeries. Armed with these devils, 5 rpm grill rotisseree motors, and RC airplane parts I set out to conquer the coin sorting world...Rube Goldberging at its best. I actually created some gizmos that worked, albeit not consistently. But, one can't be too picky. They were a rollicking good time to watch and, FYI, the strawberry frosting tubs smelled the best!

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool....post some pics when ya can. Hey BCD11, Im still working on a write up for the CMI Comp., should be getting with you soon.

Novapax

BIG TIME "THANKS" Novapax! Got your PM and I'll reply soon.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
. . . frosting tubs . . . grill rotisseree motors . . . RC airplane parts

I'd bet such a gizmo would be fun to watch. The HF toy was my 2nd attempt at a hopper. My first attempt was a CD/DVD spindle case with holes drilled in the bottom and the whole thing being turned with an HVAC damper motor. It turned at 4rpm and there were 8 holes drilled. So, it dropped 30+ coins per minute. It worked great with about 50-75 coins in it. But any more than that, there was too much weight on it and it failed.

Sounds like between the two of us, we could compile a gallery like you would see on There, I Fixed It - Redneck Repairs.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd bet such a gizmo would be fun to watch. The HF toy was my 2nd attempt at a hopper. My first attempt was a CD/DVD spindle case with holes drilled in the bottom and the whole thing being turned with an HVAC damper motor. It turned at 4rpm and there were 8 holes drilled. So, it dropped 30+ coins per minute. It worked great with about 50-75 coins in it. But any more than that, there was too much weight on it and it failed.

Sounds like between the two of us, we could compile a gallery like you would see on There, I Fixed It - Redneck Repairs.

Trust me, it was a hoot to watch. Wire handle clanking (forgot to take it off the first time I ran it), levers being moved by the 24 bolts mounted around the tub circumfrence, pennies entering and exiting a cattle chute arrangement one at a time, the list goes on. Probably the funniest thing was the look on my wife's face the first time she saw it. Fortunately, for once, I had the good sense to keep my mouth shut as to the wonder she was beholding. You know the old saw, "It's better to let them think you're a fool than to open your mouth and let them know for sure," or something like that.

After closer inspection, one question for you about your Money Miser; how big was the chainsaw you went after that devil with?!?!:laughing7: Just kiddinn'!! Again, congrats on your early attempt.

He-he, I'm with you on Redneck. "There I fixed it," and "Repairs"...hmmmm, the jury might still be out on those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread