Attachments

• nickels2.jpg
    nickels2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 413
Upvote 0

KIXLSYD

Jun 9, 2005
Tacoma,WA
thats cool, i never thought of looking through old rolls of coins from banks before. Good idea. How do you buy a coinstar machine? That would be just as cool. Brad

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can purchase coin rollers at Wal-Mart ($9.99) or ebay.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Hi MUD, nice going on the 1942 nickle. I've only kept two of each of the new series of nickles. ?Today I searched only $8.00 in rolls of nickles and I found a different issue from the Lewis & Clark series, it has "Ocean In View! O The Joy! printed on the back with trees and of course the ocean. I guess it's the newest realease in the series, as I haven't seen it before-have you?

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,

Yes I have seen the Ocean in View series in fact I have 4 rolls. I purchase 4 rolls of each new nickle from the bank since the release of the new Buffalo series. Only one series left and they stick with that one for a long time....(I think)

Keep @ it and HH!!

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Nice job on the 42 and 57! With 1942 nickels, I'm not sure how you tell if they're silver-alloy or not. They started using the silver-alloy somewhere in the middle of the year, so some are regular, and some are the war-time alloy. I wouldn't bother keeping anything 1960 or newer, unless something about them makes them significant..such as a mint error.

Good job! :D

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Nice finds!! Just wondering, how do you tell if those nickels have never circulated? ?I see alot of people say they get BU coins, that means they have never been spent or circulated, is there a way of telling? That '42 is really nice for its age.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the 42' MUD...POT LUCK!!...Back when I was a paper boy 30 some odd year's ago I looked for silver, so you probably wouldn't find any in the one's I rolled..Some people don't even pay attention to what they got anymore....Let's hope they never do..........HH!

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
JakePhelps said:
Nice finds!! Just wondering, how do you tell if those nickels have never circulated? ?I see alot of people say they get BU coins, that means they have never been spent or circulated, is there a way of telling? That '42 is really nice for its age.

I don't know how you would tell if it hasn't been circulated if it's in a normal roll or if you just find it. If so, chances are they've been spent a minimum of once. However, last time I went and got rolls of nickels from the bank, 4 of the rolls were rolls of 2004 uncirculated nickels. They were in a Security Armored Car Service rolls and sealed on both ends. I only opened one to make sure. kind of disappointing...

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone,

Let me help you learn a little more Snee about collecting newer coins. Those rolls you have sell for $4-8 on ebay. The new nickles and quarters are only minted for these years and that makes them rare and have a higher value than normal coins. Soon they will stay on one design for years and years. The term BU is just a term for a High Grade or Mint coin. Little or no marks and no ware. Any of the new nickles in a high MS 63 (Mint State) or BU condition are worth $0.25 already in the Whitman 2006 Red Book.

Keep @ it and HH!!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I used to think that coins that I found in change that were really nice looking were uncirculated but i guess not,

"Brilliant Uncirculated: a descriptive term used to indicate an uncirculated coin that still retains a lot of the brilliant luster. Not a heavily toned coin. BU is used to abbreviate brilliant uncirculated."

So I guess you can't get BU coins in change, or any type of uncirculated coin :-\ according to one site if it looks BU and you got it in change or rolls its just AU.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Funny thing about BU- I remember a little while back a gal found a dime/cent mule of fairly recent issue. She got it in change from the local supermarket.Had it in her change purse for who knows how long, rattling around with the other coins in there. She goes to pay for her purchase one day, and while fiddling around with her change, drops it on the floor where it rolls and bounces along it merry way. It's when she bent over to pick it up that she noticed something unusual about it. Anyways, after figuring out what it was, she sent it in to be graded, came back MS 65 or somesuch. Sold it for 10,000 if I remember correctly. It was just last year.

I remember thinking "If thats BU, then the mint has some awful poor handling practices!"

I guess it must be subjective, but I would think a coin that has been handled that much must have scratches, and therefore wouldn't qualfy for mint state, but I guess some scratches are OK with minimal wear, and this coin obviously hadn't had much wear at all, so there ya go.....

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the term "uncirculated" is not used in numismatic grading. The numerical grades of 1 thru 59 denote a coin that has evidence of wear. The eleven grades of 60-70 are various stages of "mint state" in which no wear is present. It is possible to get a mint state coin in circulation if it has no sign of wear on the highest points of the design. "Uncirculated" became part of the coin collector nomenclature when dealers used it regularly.

If you took a mint state coin from a new roll and passed it to a friend, it has now technically circulated but it is still in mint state and would be graded so.

Since during the minting process millions of coins come in contact with each other tiny hairline scratches and dings are almost unavoidable. The fewer of these contact marks, the higher mint state grade a coin gets. Other factors determine the mint state grade including the strength of the strike and the sharpness of the die state.

So disregard terms like "uncirculated". Its only valid use is in the 50-59 "about uncirculated" grades.

A

AK in KY

I believe all the war nickels have a mint mark. The one exception is the 42D (not a war nickel) HH

AK in KY

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all,

OK, now that we are clear BU is just a term for Mint State and Circulated coins can come back BU.

I am a little fuzzy on the silver content of the 42. It has no mint mark, in the red book its listed before the silver. Before that it says coins from 1942-1945 are silver the mint mark was moved to show the change of alloy.

( Conclusion is that both kinds of coins have silver and some don't and with this coin the only way to know is a chemical test. ) I think its silver because of the fact it has no alloy damage or corrosion.

Keep @ it and HH!!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Look on the back of your war nickel above the building, if there is a big mintmark then its silver if no mintmark then its a regular one :) Either way its a nice find.

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta love those nickels. i prefer the older ones, but they are all cool. Have you seen the proposed new design? Jefferson is looking in the other direction. I saw the pic on one of the coin magazines at krogers recently. keep on digging.

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Very good searching.

I myself went through $60 worth of nickels and came away with several Peace Medal, a few Keelboats, about 20 new Buffalo backs, and to my surprise about 15 Ocean in View backs! I don't ever get those in change!

I also got a 1939... the oldest.

No silver this time, but nickels are fun to search. Who am I kidding? All rolled coins are fun to search!

Congrats!

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Beetle662,

Its fun hunting for good coins. If you look in my picture close. Everyone, you can see one of all the new nickels. Not the last one not yet released.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread