Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

About 2 years ago, i was MD'ing my front yard. The house dates 30 years and (as i later found out) the lot dates to at least 1870. I got a nice hit a few inches down and i got a half dollar sized coin. It was quite dirty and corroded, so i cleaned it up and looked at the date. Almost had a heart attack! It had a date of 1796! Some research latter yielded it was a Spanish 8 escudos, except there was one problem, it was made with the wrong metal. It is made of some sort of copper alloy, i think. The reason i give for this wrong metal is that it could have been a counterfeit (very likely since this is a high value coin at that time) or it could have been a token made because the Spanish had very little coinage because America was using the coinage too. I don't believe it is a casting, the lines are too sharp, and i don't think it was a modern counterfeit, the gold would have stayed on.

What do you think?

HH
-GC

Attachments

• picare.jpg
    picare.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 0

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture ain't good enough to tell what it is.

Got better pics (front and back?)

Edit: never mind- if you say it resembles an 8-escudo piece, then I suppose you know what the design represents. A contemporary counterfeit is indeed a possibility, as you pointed out.

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lordmarcovan said:
Got better pics (front and back?)

Nope...i often find my-slef holding it upside-down becuase of the corsion.....

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread