My Crazy Sister

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I need some different opinions.

My sister (recently widowed) has a new boyfriend. Surprise! They are flying home this week so the new boyfriend (everyone calls him Golum- not his legal name) can ask Mom for her hand in marriage. Yea!

The ONLY problem I have with him, is that of his nickname (Golum). I asked her several times what his legal name is, and she manages to be evasive and change the subject. Red flag #1. Maybe it's a "guy thing", but it really irks me that a guy can't/won't give out his legal name. (Red flag #2) I have never met him- spoke on the phone a couple of times.

Sister has a fair amount of assets- insurance from hubby #1, house & land paid off, nice ride, money in the bank, etc.

Am I being overly suspicious? Should I just forget about it?

Can you suggest a smooth way to get him to state his legal name?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Can you suggest a smooth way to get him to state his legal name?(quote)

When he walks in,grab the front of his shirt and pull him up to you and say,"let's see your driver's license,now!Nothing personal,just going to run a little check and if you don't produce,your a-s is mine.Welcome to the family.Hi,sis".

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I think she needs to be careful if she hasn't known him long. Being recently widowed too. I know a lady whose house and land was paid off and who also had some assets. She married a guy who evidently just married her for that reason as he won't try to work and just wants to lay around the house and will not even help with the housework, yardwork or anything. The lady is older and was afraid she would never find anyone else. Your sister is an adult and will have to make her own decision but something doesn't sound quite right. Good luck

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really much you can do. Once you start questioning his motives etc., your sister is going to tell you to stay out of her affairs and quit trying to run her life. (just like a teenager) Then, after he rips her off, she'll come crying to everyone. Did she have any kids? They are the ones that may lose what may have ended up as theirs in the long run. If she has that much to protect, she should get a lawyer to do it legally for her and any possible children.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull her off to the side and tell her your concerns. Let her know that people prey on people. Ask her if she really knows anything about him. Where he works, lives, about his family. Has she met his family. Let her know that you love her and care about what happens to her. If you get his real name you can do a search on the net and find out about him. This is what I would do....Matt

S

stefen

The name Golum means MUD...like in your @ss is mud...

Ever hear of a pre-nuptual agreement...get a lawyer into the equation...

By the way, the more you try to sway your sister, the more she will resist you and move forward in spit of the good advice.

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Well, of course my first inclination is to have "a talk" with him out of range from the others, but I need to tread carefully until he shows me something I can act on. Also, my sister knows what I can do with a little info (name/dob/etc). I don't know yet if she is keeping his legal name away from me, or he is. My main concern at this point is how to deal with the situation if it turns out that he is keeping his legal name a secret. In other words, I'm pretty sure Gulom is not a "stage name" because he is a "stripper".

He had his own construction company... until the market died. Now he is underemployed and living with my sis. :(

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get his licence plate no. off his car and have someone run it that gets name address and all.

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Yeah. That ain't gonna happen. They live in Hawaii, we are on the lower 48. I tried to look at businesses thru the Hawaii Commerce website- to many businesses with Hawaiian partial names, etc. They are renting a car. Oh well!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
packerbacker said:
Not really much you can do. Once you start questioning his motives etc., your sister is going to tell you to stay out of her affairs and quit trying to run her life. (just like a teenager) Then, after he rips her off, she'll come crying to everyone. Did she have any kids? They are the ones that may lose what may have ended up as theirs in the long run. If she has that much to protect, she should get a lawyer to do it legally for her and any possible children.

I agree...tell your sister to get a pre-nup to protect her assessts. Even the mention of a pre-nup should send signal one way or the other (receptive vs. completely against it).

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RON (PA) said:
packerbacker said:

I agree...tell your sister to get a pre-nup to protect her assessts. Even the mention of a pre-nup should send signal one way or the other (receptive vs. completely against it).

LMFAO!!! be careful! even a "pre-nup" doesnt help if you stay married for like 10 years!
and most of the time... the person that asks for the pre nup HAS to agree on a SET dollar
amount to be paid to the other party should things not work out.... like so much per year of
marriage. yes this would be better than loosing half of everything... but... sometimes it ends up
being kinda costly to get rid of someone!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) im just sayin!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oy vay --golum is mud in jewish speak --be very very careful -- a pre nup would be a wise move indeed to prevent being "had".

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizona Bob said:
Yeah. That ain't gonna happen. They live in Hawaii, we are on the lower 48. I tried to look at businesses thru the Hawaii Commerce website- to many businesses with Hawaiian partial names, etc. They are renting a car. Oh well!

If he lives at your sisters, then his car should be there. You might be able to find a member or two from here that lives close enough in Hawaii that could "swing" by the house and look at the tag on the car if it is parked outside and get the tag number....

Then again there is always the old "she is my sister, and I will not be very happy if anything happens that makes her cry, I have a couple good friends and going back to prision doesn't really seem to bother them much."

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
do a casual interview, shouldn't be to hard to find out what he does for work now that the mark is down and what gym ect he belongs to. All this over diner or drinks while his guard is down. Chit chat is wonderful for gleening information. Good luck don't give up.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aint that a member here in TNET?????

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
Do a Google search for 'Golum' or 'Gollum'. You have been warned.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
aint that a member here in TNET?????

Yep.

Seemes Like a Cool Dude to me :thumbsup: