My digs at 32 degrees

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I received an upgrade from my Harbor Freight Treasure-Machine as a Christmas gift, and then in true the Christmas spirit, my wife told me I couldn't go outside and play because I had to spend time with my family. So instead, I took my new Bounty Hunter Tracker IV out for a few hours this morning and dug through the frosted earth in search of relics of the past. My wife was a bit miffed that I was getting up so early, but I've had a Tim Allen/Home Improvement quote in my back pocket for this occasion for years: "Sorry honey, I've got a lot of fun to squeeze in today, and I can't waste time in bed with you."

Right away I noticed that this contraption had significantly more power than the Harbor Freight Wonder-Worker, which is saying something because I really enjoyed that thing. In fact I'd really built up this internal persona around the whole idea of finding buried treasure using nothing but a Chinese dowsing machine. I got over it pretty quickly though, because it was really nice not digging up every ferromagnetic nail in the township for a change.

I think I'm getting a little bit better too, because I found a lot of cool stuff today. About three and a half hours in, I got a text from my wife asking, "everything ok?", to which I replied, "I'm never coming home."

I did come home eventually though, because Corn Pops only fuel the body for so much dirt-movement -- even I can admit that. My wife asked me why I brought home a bag full of trash, and I told her I had to show you guys. So, here I am, a man of my word, showing you my trash.

This first one is the remnants of a fairly old 5% Dextrose IV bottle that had only a screw-top seal. How it ended up here is anyone's guess.

1.png

The new detector helped me find a lot of additional pieces related to other finds I've already made -- for example, I found another one of those gears I thought might be from a clock.

2.png

This is some sort of really awesome knob. It seems to be made of some type of copper alloy. I'm really not sure what it would've been a part of, but the design is such that it spins freely unless you push (which locks it into place) and turn at the same time.

3.png

This picture shows the mechanism of that knob.

4.png

I believe this was some sort of copper-alloy buckle, perhaps incorporated as part of a dwarvish adventurer's satchel.

5.png

I honestly thought this was one of the teeth off an old rake (bent in the middle), but someone else fervently argued in favor of it being the spike from a fish stringer. The hollow underside appears to be filled with wood.

8.png

My grandmother's favorite bracelet.

7.png

I thought this was a copper coin when I unearthed it and I was really, really excited. Instead it was just some kind of lid. Probably fell off the bottle containing my pride because I lost an ounce or two about then.

9.png

This is some kind of decorative door hinge I think. I kept it because it made me happy.

6.png

Evidently the handle of the retrieval mechanism of a 75-foot tape measure.

10.png

A picture of the other side of the reel. The hinge is actually still functional, which would perhaps be a bit more noteworthy if I had located the rest of the tape measure.

11.png

My last treasure for the day. This would be the impetus for a heated debate between family members later in the evening, the argument organized around the question of whether the horse it belonged to was of average or above-average size.

12.png

Well, there's more stuff here somewhere, but I should probably give it a rest for now -- elsewise I won't have any energy to conduct further archaeological investigations on the morrow.

Take care all, as I enjoy reading about the stuff you've found. Gives me the inspiration to keep at it, nail after nail.

Upvote 2

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:blob9: :hello2: Hooray on many counts! :hello2: :blob9: Your enthusiasm! Your getting right into it learning your Bounty Hunter! Pulling up such a variety of finds! And your absolutely hilarious reporting style, equaled here only by such folk as "Chug & Red" for big guffaws. :laughing7: Thanks! :icon_thumright:

I've been using Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for four years. Very happy with it. Lightweight, able to find gold among the iron, able to find the tiniest items, coins on edge, a split dime whose two pieces were about 30 yards apart, etc. The first two years my son & I shared our Bounty Hunter -- together we dug really nice silver jewelry, super relics, and four gold rings. Two years ago he upgraded to Teknetics which gives greater depth, better I.D. about metal types, & more sophisticated readings. But I'm sticking to Bounty Hunter! Our each having separate machines also leads to more solo detecting days for each, as we live several miles apart. Still always enjoy detecting together too.

You probably know that it's okay to get your BH's coil in water, but getting the electronics box in water can ruin it permanently. Nevertheless, when I foolishly laid my BH on beach to answer a tourist's questions, a wave sneaked up and slapped over my entire machine! Bounty Hunter was dead! Devastated, I took BH inland, opened box and removed batteries, sat shaking and wiping all the sand & water out that I could reach that way. Popped in new batteries but BH was still dead, boo-hoo. When I got home, I took the whole box apart, then I removed even the tiniest drops of water and sand from the electronics "card" with q-tips & toothpicks, dried everything totally with hair dryer, and voila! A working Bounty Hunter once again! So, at least that one time, it was even better than the company guarantees. Whenever I detect in rain, I tie plastic bag around the electronics compartment just in case. I don't deliberately detect in rain though, lol.

With my Bounty Hunter, when I'm tired or just looking for coins & silver, I push the red button all the way to the right to eliminate all but the largest iron. That eliminates much of the small crud targets too, but also maybe eliminates the smaller gold. When I have more energy and hoping for gold in addition to coins & silver, I put red button in center position, which causes machine to beep even at small iron - but also at gold! Also, both of my gold rings and much of my silver and other jewelry was mixed in closely with small iron or base metals like nails, broken cheap spoons, etc. This may be because I mostly detect beaches & old eroding road embankments where varied items tend to be more mixed together than in parks. I'm sure you're already re-checking your holes after finding any item -- my heaviest gold ring was hiding under a corroded old broken spoon.
:icon_thumright: Have Fun! :cat: Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread