My DIY hookah diving platform goes where wading cant.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My DIY hookah diving platform goes where wading can't.

Hi all.
Figured while I was doing some updates/checkout for my hookah that I would take a couple pics and share since I have been just lurking for about...oh, 6 years or so.:hello:

This is my time tested hookah, may not look like much but it is rock solid and has brought me great pleasure along with a little bit of treasure.:treasurechest:

How this is put together is pretty self explanatory by the pictures, if you need something explained about it, just give me a holler!

The main piece is an outboard engine cowling that I scavenged and an old Brownies electric hookah. This setup gets a little more than two hours downtime before I have to switch batts.
It is amazingly stable since the battery actually sits about 1/4 way below the waterline.

I use this outside the swimming areas where people raft and under the floating swim area
boundary pipes.

Hope you like!!!

Attachments

• 0625131115.jpg
    0625131115.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 600
  • 0625131123.jpg
    0625131123.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 4,099
  • 0625131123a.jpg
    0625131123a.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 480
  • 0625131125.jpg
    0625131125.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 1,411
  • 0625131137.jpg
    0625131137.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 408
  • 0625131214.jpg
    0625131214.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 619
  • 0625131214a.jpg
    0625131214a.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
Upvote 0

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like, simple,quiet and cheep. I don't think it would work that well in the surf but for lakes and bays I think it would be great.

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is a neat little set-up!

bear2442

Greenie
Oct 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
treasure baron
whites treasure master pi
underwater discriminator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking setup. I'm stuck between getting an electric or gas for my boat. Been told gas is the better but the noise factor worries me...?

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks solid. What model/type compressor do you have? Looks HD
Hey pistolpete, the compressor/motor is an older commercial unit that Brownies Hookahs sold. It is a 12v electric motor with direct drive into a Gast oilless compressor. Purchased a few years ago on e-bay for $350.00
The downside is the cost of good batteries that need replacing yearly if you use it often. The upside is it is quiet enough not to bother people near the swim areas.

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking setup. I'm stuck between getting an electric or gas for my boat. Been told gas is the better but the noise factor worries me...?
Hi Bear, if your diving using your boat and not so close to people then go with the gas motor. I will be getting one of those also for areas that won't bother people. For diving with other people swimming very close to the unit the electric is a must.
I'm trying to figure a way to easily convert my compressor with a pully and have dual power capabilities.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just awesome. Forget lugging tanks around!

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Thanks for sharing your ingenuity!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.
Figured while I was doing some updates/checkout for my hookah that I would take a couple pics and share since I have been just lurking for about...oh, 6 years or so.:hello:

This is my time tested hookah, may not look like much but it is rock solid and has brought me great pleasure along with a little bit of treasure.:treasurechest:

How this is put together is pretty self explanatory by the pictures, if you need something explained about it, just give me a holler!

The main piece is an outboard engine cowling that I scavenged and an old Brownies electric hookah. This setup gets a little more than two hours downtime before I have to switch batts.
It is amazingly stable since the battery actually sits about 1/4 way below the waterline.

I use this outside the swimming areas where people raft and under the floating swim area
boundary pipes.

Hope you like!!!

Because of the air lines and the attached float, I would not want to be close to where people are swimming with any hookah rig (battery or gas).
I would not recommend it, but would think that you would be better off snorkeling or using scuba? Especially if there are surges/current.
I don’t see any filtering to protect your lungs from contaminated air, such as battery fumes/ exhausts from nearby gas powered engines.
I have never used hookah, only scuba tanks where I know the high pressure air is highly filtered by the fill station(s).
I would like to add a caution, that you have to be fully checked out before using any diving gear as you can severly damage your lungs, if you panic and hold your breath during an emergency ascent.

Not trying to be a kill joy, I know zero about hookah, just don't want to see anyone hurt.
Oh by the way, my partner had to do an emergency ascent from 90 feet using scuba because of bad air (frothy)
The attendant had not properly maintained the filtering system. Scary is that my tank and another partners tank were filled prior.

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of the air lines and the attached float, I would not want to be close to where people are swimming with any hookah rig (battery or gas).
I would not recommend it, but would think that you would be better off snorkeling or using scuba? Especially if there are surges/current.
I don’t see any filtering to protect your lungs from contaminated air, such as battery fumes/ exhausts from nearby gas powered engines.
I have never used hookah, only scuba tanks where I know the high pressure air is highly filtered by the fill station(s).
I would like to add a caution, that you have to be fully checked out before using any diving gear as you can severly damage your lungs, if you panic and hold your breath during an emergency ascent.

Not trying to be a kill joy, I know zero about hookah, just don't want to see anyone hurt.
Oh by the way, my partner had to do an emergency ascent from 90 feet using scuba because of bad air (frothy)
The attendant had not properly maintained the filtering system. Scary is that my tank and another partners tank were filled prior.
Thanks for the input Sir Gala Clad. You are right about choosing the areas in which to use this. Don't get the idea that people are swimming all over and around the unit, When I go it's usually when the park is opening at 6 a.m. or on really miserable days when there are 3-7 people in the park. The unit is anchored about 25 feet outside the boundary pipes, kids play on the pipes but rarely get anywhere close, they see me getting into the water with all that gear and wetsuit and
pretty much know to stay away from whatever it is I'm doing. I snorkel inside the boundaries but where I look it is a minimum of 10 feet to 30 feet deep.

If you look at the compressor unit, on either side is black, bullet shaped pieces. they contain micron filters that are changed out during my yearly checks. As for safety, always get certified, luckily panic is not in my repertoire. I learned as a child falling through ice and being swept down stream that panic is what tends to be the real killer, keeping your head will keep you alive.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yea I would get scuba certified, I did, its an easy fun class and might save your life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread