my dry sand $1.50 sand scoop...

GuANu

Mar 11, 2007
Panama City Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, X-Terra 50
for the past month i've been using a plastic pitcher with holes drilled in it as a sand scoop... its worked great... but i got tired of bending over to use it. Today I bought another $1.50 2qt. pitcher from walmart to make a second scoop. I drilled 193 holes in it and was bored at work sittin around lookin at it... so i decided to add a handle so I didnt have to bend over anymore... we had a broken dustpan with an aluminum handle that seemed perfect.. so i cut the plastic part the dustpan attached to and it clamped onto the handle just right... was askin the guys what i should attach it with and we have an industrial hot glue gun, so I had a go at it to hold it in place.. after that, i added a piece of metal backstrapping drilled into the aluminum handle, wrapped around the scoop handle, and drilled on the other side.. but the backstrap could rust... so to bypass that, back to the hot glue and covered it all.. man is this handle sturdy! =) gonna be great for the dry sand and going to give it a try in the wet sand as well... since we have sugar sand beaches here, theres no need for a metal one... anyways, on to the pics!

G

scoop1.jpg

scoop2.jpg

scoop3.jpg

Upvote 0

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello

Attachments

• th_DrHannibalLecter10001.JPG
    th_DrHannibalLecter10001.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,120
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,103
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,112

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, but it would never work on the wet sand at beaches here. I stand on mine to get it to take a deep bite. Almost any thing works in the dry sand.

Good Hunting

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GuANu said:
for the past month I've been using a plastic pitcher with holes drilled in it as a sand scoop... its worked great... but i got tired of bending over to use it. Today I bought another $1.50 2qt. pitcher from walmart to make a second scoop. I drilled 193 holes in it and was bored at work sittin around looking at it... so i decided to add a handle so I didn't have to bend over anymore... we had a broken dustpan with an aluminum handle that seemed perfect.. so i cut the plastic part the dustpan attached to and it clamped onto the handle just right... was asking the guys what i should attach it with and we have an industrial hot glue gun, so I had a go at it to hold it in place.. after that, i added a piece of metal backstrapping drilled into the aluminum handle, wrapped around the scoop handle, and drilled on the other side.. but the backstrap could rust... so to bypass that, back to the hot glue and covered it all.. man is this handle sturdy! =) gonna be great for the dry sand and going to give it a try in the wet sand as well... since we have sugar sand beaches here, theres no need for a metal one... anyways, on to the picks!

G

scoop1.jpg

scoop2.jpg

scoop3.jpg
It is looking funny.

OP
OP
G

GuANu

Mar 11, 2007
Panama City Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, X-Terra 50
got out today and tested it out... works great! i'd figure when i step on the back i'd end up breaking it... which isnt a big deal.. but nope, held up real great.. dug a bunch of clad, lots of ptabs, and a 100 fils coin from bahrain =)

G

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Now i don't notice much but im sure i counted 194 hole's,would u please update this count.Good luck out there.Ronald99

OP
OP
G

GuANu

Mar 11, 2007
Panama City Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, X-Terra 50
multiple reasons.. main one being the rim wouldnt be strong enough to dig with.. second would be i couldnt step on the back to dig it into the ground... been using this scoop for a long time now, and its still holding up great and works excellent... i just cant afford a metal one, nor would it be as light as this is... i've used it in dry, wet, and underwater.. works great... its nice and sturdy..

G

drink-7-up

Feb 24, 2006
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
do you have a patent for this?
Without a patent, others do not have to pay you to make, sell or use your invention. With
a patent, you own your idea. You can sell or license your rights. Or you can use a patent in business to be the exclusive source.
You can protect names, logo designs, initials and slogans you add to it

OP
OP
G

GuANu

Mar 11, 2007
Panama City Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, X-Terra 50
man, if someone wants to go to walmart and get a 2qt pitcher and spend an hour with a couple drill bits and go to town, more power to them.. also would have to sacrafice a shop dust pan handle, some backstraps, screws, and hot glue (so the screws and backstraps dont rust)... i love this sand scoop.. ghetto engineering at work.. or i'm just very short on money and got tired of bending over to scoop signals.. also helps to work in an automotive shop and like to figure stuff out heh... i just like how sturdy it is, nice thick plastic with I-beam handle and heavy duty lip on the edge, works great..

main reason i posted it is to show that you dont need to spend big money (yes 100 bux is big money for me after paying rent, bills, and car payment) to have a working sand scoop for the beach..

G

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I think it is great! You just never know what you can come up with until you give it a try. You are right... you don't need an expensive scoop. I used a metal vegetable colunder for quite awhile. Then my husband made me a small wire scoop. I now have one of the more expensive long handled scoops but guess what I use most of the time.... the little wire one my husband made for me. Good job! ;)

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
You came up with a ideal,and it work's,Im always thinking about how to also make thing's work at a cheap price.I have a exspensive beach scoop,That i use in the wet sand,What you have is great in the dry sand,and you saved money.I have a minelab Excalibur and the hipmount that comes with it suck's,so i went out and bought a belt,and mounted it more secure,and it work's great,Also Jimmy Sierra makes a plug popper,that work's great,Im currently working on making a longer handle to attach to the popper,and this will keep me from bending over,Keep making your ideals work,and good luck metal detecting. Ronald99

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep up da good work i'm always happy with myself when i come up with a good idea

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread