My elusive Red-belllied Woodpecker

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying all week to get a great photo of a Red-bellied Woodpecker that has been visiting my bird feeders. I have four bird feeders but he seems to always go to the one further st from my window! (Approx 60 feet away).

I even tried rotating my feeder to different locations in hopes I would get him to come a feeder closer to the house but no, he likes the one by the Spruce tree, I guess it is the safest one from Mr. Cooper Hawk!

This morning I spotted him on the feeder and quietly opened the window and did manage to get a couple decent shots. The top one is in normal zoom about 10x, and the second one is digital zoom and thus the reason for some blur.

In hopes of a better photo, I will put that feeder he was on back near my window with some suet in the side slots, maybe that will work. What a beautiful bird it is. I wonder why it is called a Red-bellied Woodpecker when it has no red belly? :)

Don

Attachments

• Red-bellied Woodpecker reduced.jpg
    Red-bellied Woodpecker reduced.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 263
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
You obviously love birds, as do I. You took some great photos. Could this be a golden-fronted woodpecker? The gold at the base of it's bill makes me think so. There used to be a downy woodpecker that would visit my feeders every year for about 4 years, then it stopped coming around. I can only presume it is dead. It was a cute little thing. Keep on taking those photos and please post more when you can.

I am certain it is a Red-bellied Woodpecker. :)

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Red-bellied_Woodpecker.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread