My Equinox died

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
So I noticed my last couple of hunts over the weekend that my battery was only lasting about 5 hours, down from its usual 12-14 hours. I called Keith from Fort Bedford metal detectors and he steered me to the Minelab service center here in the states and I sent the control head off to Pennsylvania. Anyway, went to a big old hay field with one of my diggin’ buddies, he had his XP Deus and I had my old ATmax with the mono-wondo Nel coil. I couldnt believe how spoiled I am from using my Nox , I had a b**** of a time just getting a signal to repeat good enough for me to dig. So if I got a grunt with a chirp, I dug it.........made for a long, hot day with little to show for my effort. My buddy on the other hand was popping out KGII’s with dates left and right (ok, he got one, but it was nice) IHP’s and other cool stuff. I got six targets that went into my “keepers “ pile And my Nox won’t be back for 2 weeks😔I think I’ll pop the sniper coil on the max, won’t go as deep but it will still get the good stuff If I can get over it.
Happy hunt in’

Attachments

• EF1F9DF3-91F6-4DAB-9EB9-849F0580AA9B.jpeg
    EF1F9DF3-91F6-4DAB-9EB9-849F0580AA9B.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 20

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is frustrating. How long have you had the unit?
Sorry you are having the issues but your experience is good for me since I have the ATMax with a similar experience just yesterday on a quick junk hunt. Maybe it's just me, but the dryer the soil the scratchier the signal.

I'm guessing they are Lithium batteries inside. With my battery tools, the lithium ones do last longer than the Nicad. Nicad only lasted about 2 years before they went bad. Good luck with the sniper coil.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain Joe, mine is currently in PA its bin a little over 2 weeks and havent herd anything yet. I kept my ATpro for back up but I cant stand using it any more...

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That is frustrating. How long have you had the unit?
Sorry you are having the issues but your experience is good for me since I have the ATMax with a similar experience just yesterday on a quick junk hunt. Maybe it's just me, but the dryer the soil the scratchier the signal.

I'm guessing they are Lithium batteries inside. With my battery tools, the lithium ones do last longer than the Nicad. Nicad only lasted about 2 years before they went bad. Good luck with the sniper coil.
It’s just over 16 months old, but I am out 4 to 5 times per week, even in the dead of winter. I started with a ATpro which was a great machine and I found lots of great stuff with it. I got the max just so I would have interchangeable coils between the two but I never warmed up to it. When I hunt with the max I use it in “pro” mode with 0 iron discrimination. I like to hear everything, but that thing is so chatty I kick down the sensitivity down a bar. I have found great stuff with it but the sound just bugs me for some reason. My Nox will lock on to a good target much better in junkie areas, so I guess I’m spoiled. I’m going to get another machine before Christmas, I might get the Nox 800 or a deus, my digging buddies use CTX’s, Etrac’s, deus’, nox’s and ATpro’s so I get a good look at what’s out there. I would get a CTX but that’s way too much money and my wife would kill me ( to death). Another draw back with the other Minelab products is them not being water proof, I hunt a lot in and around water soooooooooooooo............... we’ll see what I can sneak by the boss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain Joe, mine is currently in PA its bin a little over 2 weeks and havent herd anything yet. I kept my ATpro for back up but I cant stand using it any more...
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!' I cant wait that long!!!! What’s the issue with yours? They told me 7-10 days

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water on my screen, I do alot of shallow river hunting knee deep or so and Im like you out 4 to 5 times week until the ground freezes.. Im about to loose my sh*t!! lol

When Im able the Deus is what Ill be after next...

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the dead nox club.....membership is up these days !! Luckily I got mine back, but I hear there is a covid 19 supply chain problem now !! Let's all hope that's not true. Mine came very quickly after I shipped it. Seems there is at least a 2 week delay now....since this covid crap !!

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Or more Equi's Failing?

Aug 26, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's hope they repair it soon. I've had enough of hearing Covid this, Covid that. Everybody keeps using this as an excuse - in business, politics etc. Just do your job people... :dontknow:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot vouch for others, but in my circle of hunters and friends.....I'd have to say that 50% of the guys I know who own and use one have had water issues. I only know about 4 other guys who use the nox down here and 2 of them plus myself have had water ingress. Thats 3 out of five machines over a couple years or less. Combine that experience for me plus others here on t-net that have had failures...and...well...Houston we have a problem !!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't get another Equinox. I'd save for a CTX or get another brand. You have 20 weeks of warranty left. Someone posted here that when they called the repair center the center told them the parts were delayed in shipment and so it would be a delay to get them fixed. No parts. I'm sure you can find the thread. Worldwide shipping is extremely slow due to the virus. I ordered something from Germany. The guy sent it our equivalent of prioirity mail and it took 6 weeks to get here. I thought it was lost for sure!

Sophia95

Aug 26, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teknetics T2 is something I'm interested in and I've heard plenty of positive reviews about it. I'm not sure about CTX. We know one thing - stay away from Equinox!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teknetics T2 is something I'm interested in and I've heard plenty of positive reviews about it. I'm not sure about CTX. We know one thing - stay away from Equinox!

Is the T2 waterproof?... The nox will smoke a T2 on land all day long ....

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got a hunt in. Hope the Nox issue is resolved soon:)

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the nox and ctx to much machine for a beginner? Looking to buy a new machine. Bought the pioneer 202 many years back and just in the last two weeks put it to work in the yard. This morning seemed to be acting up. So started searching for a new quality one.

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Are the nox and ctx to much machine for a beginner? Looking to buy a new machine. Bought the pioneer 202 many years back and just in the last two weeks put it to work in the yard. This morning seemed to be acting up. So started searching for a new quality one.
The Nox is an easy machine to learn, just don’t try to be a smartasss and play with the settings right out of the shoot. Mine works best wide open and I absolutely love it. My buddy with his deus won’t even get close to the salt water due to the chatter he gets, I don’t know if he’s doing something wrong or that’s just the machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the latest software upgrade I have used the Deus in the Atlantic with no problems and decent depth. I was quite surprised. I need to get out SOMEWHERE soon!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds :icon_thumleft:, sorry to hear about the machine. :BangHead:

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
With the latest software upgrade I have used the Deus in the Atlantic with no problems and decent depth. I was quite surprised. I need to get out SOMEWHERE soon!
I know we’re getting a minus tide some time in September, don’t know if that effects you “mid-Atlaniconians” but that’s when I have my best luck. I know you’ve pulled killer stuff off the beach, good luck if you go!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news is that you have backup detectors. I use the AT Pro/Max for underwater freshwater and it’s a killer. I will occasionally use it for trashy areas with lots of groundcover and the small coil. Overall, I am the type of person who really doesn’t like to compare the performance of many of the detectors; each have their advantages and disadvantages. One key item about the AT Max, from Steve at Garrett, is that you can bump the sensitivity quite far down without an appreciable loss of depth. If things get chatty and the ground balance is the way you want it, bump the sensitivity down more than just one bar. It is surprising.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread