My Fair Lady, Hi Ho Silver & Mini Me - Colonial Finds & Goodies!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out yesterday with my good pal Bill D for some more colonial scratching. We started off back at the new site we recently located and after spending a chunk of time with the owner we were off. The first line that I took paid off immediately as within about 20 yards I unearthed my first target of the day - a late 1790's Large Cent - not a bad way to start off the morning. Things stayed steady on the slow side for most the day as this site does not have relics jumping out left and right - mostly due to the vegetative state that it is in...once it is cut - game on! Bill chimed in shortly after with a find of his own (leave it for him to post) but lets just say that the colonial silver coin lead was beginning to build - that was until I nailed a rather diminutive spanish cut silver. It looks as if it were to be a typical cut silver until the coin either broke or the owner decided to snip the rim off...ever seen anything like it - I sure have not - it is tiny! Either way Bill's lead was back down to one. Earlier in the day, I stumbled into the first pit of the season (most likely the foundation) and unearthed some sheet brass, musket balls, early thimble and the nice early fork with the wood handle partially intact.

The day went on and we decided to do some exploring. We walked some pretty property and were stunned by the lack of signals, that was until we hit the very last ridge for the day where we split up to explore. On the backside Bill hit iron and at the same time that I hit iron on the front. The difference was that Bill's was more of the 1850's variety and mine the 1600's. My first target was a hunk of pewter and then out of nowhere out popped a nice, though a little worn, 1 reale cob! (the silver count was now tied at 3-3) I hunkered down and began to unearth a few nice odds and ends, including the early 1600s (some date to 1500s) cast cone or dome buttons (some are considered spanish military used). I also recovered a nice complete spectacle buckle and nipple button. This site produced a nice early grouping of relics, though few and far.

In total - I did not hit double digits for buttons, digging just 8 or 9 of them. I did however take home 3 colonial coins and also recovered a few other nice odds and ends such as the ramrod guide, early lead bale seal, other buckle pieces and musket balls.

Looking forward to the next one.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    686.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    660.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    492 KB · Views: 148
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    681.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    750.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    733 KB · Views: 136
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    458.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 13

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs, but is that a colonial buckle or Colonial pull tab? Just kidding congrats

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that tiny cut silver sliver is great

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
We definitely walked a lot of nice looking ground, but the usual quantity of finds was just not there as you mentioned. At least some coins were popping out. But our last stop helped to make the day a success (for you anyway .... haha!). You need to slow down with the coins man. I finally had a comfortable lead for a change and saw all of it evaporate in short order. But there's always next time. Enjoyed gettin' out with ya on a gorgeous day.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one of my last posts you said you were drooling over my finds while at the office. Well I'm out detecting and I'm drooling over your finds. Man that cob and little slice if silver are such great finds. Love the buttons and the open top thimble as well. The ground you guys are walking over is extremely rich with history that many of us can only dream about. Congrats on the recoveries and ill be looking forward to whats next.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Dan. I know it can be hard to get out with little ones amongst you. I should know, got four of my own. Anyway, those are some sweet finds. Im still pulling out the colonial stuff in my area too. Havent found a coin in awhile but thimbles seem to be hot for some reason. I was wondering about the third thimble I found the otner day and was wondering if it actually was missing the top or it fell off. I see yours is like mine. Are they made that way or was it a two piece manufacture?

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Dan. It may have felt like a slow day to you but in the end you amassed some great finds. Best of luck to ya in the coin competition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one of my last posts you said you were drooling over my finds while at the office. Well I'm out detecting and I'm drooling over your finds. Man that cob and little slice if silver are such great finds. Love the buttons and the open top thimble as well. The ground you guys are walking over is extremely rich with history that many of us can only dream about. Congrats on the recoveries and ill be looking forward to whats next.

Always drooling when I see colonial relics...even in my own hole before I pick them up ha ha

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Dan. It may have felt like a slow day to you but in the end you amassed some great finds. Best of luck to ya in the coin competition.

Thanks man - it was fun. There is one more field still to be cleared and some clean-up work to do on the one we are hunting. Looking forward to some more goodies.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Great finds, the thimble is the best find for me, it's quite a early open-topped sewing ring or tailor’s thimble with hand-punched waffle-shaped indentations, and dates to Circa 16th - 17th century. :thumbsup:

SS

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that tiny silver snippet, very cool. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Great finds, the thimble is the best find for me, it's quite a early open-topped sewing ring or tailor’s thimble with hand-punched waffle-shaped indentations, and dates to Circa 16th - 17th century. :thumbsup:

SS

Thanks man - love the tailors as well. We find them from time to time around here.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gret digs dan, I really enjoy reading yours and bills posts and seeing my two favorite colonial colors on your pics, silver and green!

Great hunt!

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice collection of finds!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man do you guys ever have a bad day lol. I live that early button, never seen one before. And the buckle is killer. That sliver of silver is so small. How deep was it? That is one small signal. Great day bud

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man do you guys ever have a bad day lol. I live that early button, never seen one before. And the buckle is killer. That sliver of silver is so small. How deep was it? That is one small signal. Great day bud
This coming from the Tree Man?? ha ha

We have bad days, but we do honestly put in a ton of work on research and once you have enough sites there are almost always productive ones to hit when a day exploring is going bad. We have been off to a good start for the limited time we have put in. The coin was about 4" down and read like a small birdshot. The only reason I dug it was that it was repeatable and faint...was not expecting that little fella.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hits on the silver and the buttons, very productive hunt for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread