OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
I found this in Raeford, NC in an open field. The town its self started in the late 1800's and had a lot of Scottish settlers at one time. There is nothing on the back, its smooth. Possibly made of Bronze or Copper I'm not sure which. The edge you see that looks broken on the lower right is actually corrosion that had eaten away the metal which leads me to think it is somewhat old. I covered it with a very thin coating of wax to help preserve it. At least thats what I read to do on another site. I posted it on the what is it site as well. If you have any theories please let me know.

OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Originally I thought it was a Knight or Scottsman on the horse but after cleaning up the picture I thought the same thing. That it looked like a woman rider. Amazing what a computer picture can reveal that the eye can't. The are a lot of horse shows in that area too so it may just be a medal for showmanship or something like that. If I have the time I am going to try and go to one and see if they recognize it. If I do come up with anything at all I'll be sure to update it. I do love a good mystery.

OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
No Minelab 1000 it didn't. It was pretty dirty but once I washed of the dirt it looked pretty much the way it does now.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!

HH

Lonewolfe

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Oh yeah! That's old, 1600's I think. I've seen similar coins over here, but I don't know the history. Can you please take a photo of the other side as well?

A

aquabob

That's a cool find!!!...........it does look old. The edge of it looks to be damaged from being in the farmers field, the hole in the center....important to someone, either worn as a necklace, or tied into/onto clothing so as not lose it. I definitely see a horse and rider, I can't make out if it's male or female................but it almost looks like she/he is holding a "POLO" club (it comes down right above the horses front leg at an angle)......maybe my imagination ;)

OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Thanks all for your replies. I am at a loss for what it could be, so I will take it to the museum and see if they can help. If not we have a college here with an Archie department maybe I'll see what the have to say but if they give me a hard time why I'll.................. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread