My Find of the Year: Gold Civil War Ring (Updated 2 new pictures)

treasurehawk7411

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2007
Tulsa,OK
DCMatt said:
It is a bit of a long shot, but there was a jeweler in New Orleans (appears in the 1852 N.O. business directory) named Maurice Scooler. The Scooler Jewelry store was on Canal Street for years. You can find some custom "high end" stuff that came out of his shop.

Ok everybody, possibly with a lot of imagination! It seems that I, unlike thousands of others that have viewed this ring, may have actually solved the mystery of who actually crafted this ring!!! After reading this post and then studying the ring for a few minutes, It seemed to just jump out at me!!!! If you look at the first two pics. of Rusty's ring (br7 and br8) it appears that Maurice Scooler may have put his monogram "MS" just above the smoke clouds and between the raised top portion of the lid!!!!!! He may have tried to make it look similar to the bottom portion so as to create a view artistic symetry!!!! If you look at that bottom portion,it does not appear to be nearly as deep as the top portion. While it appears to be lightly etched, the top portion appears to be deeply engraved!!!!!! It is kind of like looking at the clouds and claiming to see common everyday objects!!! Also maybe like looking at one of those paintings within a painting!!!!!!! Oh well, it was worth a try!!! I'll be the first to admit, that maybe I have been sucked into the "National Treasure" realm!!!! lol What If?????????? P.S. As soon as I can borrow a digital camera with a macro adjustment,I will be posting pics. of the ring I found in Arkansas on a Civil War camp site!!! Like I said in my last post. The band looks real similar to one Rusty has found!!! Gary

Attachments

• Civil War Ring (Arkansas).JPG
    Civil War Ring (Arkansas).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,063

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
That is simply incredible. What a find!

MT

Feb 28, 2008
Montara, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac with all the goodies.
I never noticed this thread before...Glad it's on top.
I have never seen such a beautiful find! Congratulations.
HH,
MT
Tom

Dustin V3

Oct 19, 2008
Farragut, Tennessee USA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3
Great find! The picture of the boat is very interesting, but the face inside really takes the cake....and it's gold to boot.

A+

Thanks for posting pictures of it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a shock and awe item and I would have to think Banner.What an unusual and rare find.
Congratulations.
TnMountains

Did it already make a banner find I just saw the original date of the post.Going strong years later.

Cuthroat

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
What ever happened with this story? It's been like two years and this Rusty guy never came back??? Did the jeweler he took the ring to kill him and make off with the loot? lol :dontknow:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt,, congrats on the Gold, WTG
thumbs_up.gif

TN_Explorer

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in awe, that is an amazing find, the kind that makes all keep digging. Congratulations!

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I see a man's face in the ring as well. What is that? A trick of the light or something?

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I just read the entire thread on Rusty's amazingly beautiful find, and would love to know the "rest of the story."

I am puzzled by the misplaced moralizing of the above statement.

hiawatha_600.jpg

twoauers

Jul 7, 2013
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats, excelent cleaning also. Well done; Twoauers in Nashville

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread