My finds along the Treasure Coast and Vero Beach

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody. I saw a lot of people with metal detectors out this past weekend. I met a several nice individuals, everybody looked busy. The family and I went first to the area where the big cut is behind the McLarty Museum. Without a lie we probably saw 25 to 30 people with detectors in their hands. Everybody looked like they were digging the same things that we were, between tin can pieces to lead weights to a few modern coins. I was finally exhausted and stopped digging signals. I did find a whats it. It isn't lead but it looks like a wedge, but who knows of what. It doesn't have any marks on it, probably junk.

Saturday night I decided I would go out by the hotel there in Vero Beach to at least add to the gas fund. There were coins everywhere. I talked to a really nice member of the community, Mitch, who I didn't realize that I had looked at his webpage several times over the years. He is a very informative and nice individual to talk with. Mitch told me about the history of the area and to look really well at the coins later (it was 11 pm) in the light that there might be a few surprises. Boy was he right. Back at the hotel, I looked through my pocket of coins. There was a 1942 Mercury dime and 2 Wheat cents (1945 and 1955).

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• treasure coast and vero beach.jpg
    treasure coast and vero beach.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 660
  • treasure coast.jpg
    treasure coast.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 660
  • change and whats its.jpg
    change and whats its.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 645
  • mercury dime and wheats.jpg
    mercury dime and wheats.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 631
Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds and WTG on the silver and the wheats. Check the 55 wheat could be a double die.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. At least there is something older coming up. That would tell me that there is a possiblity of finding other things that have been in that area since the 40's and 50's. Getting kind of close to being worth a trip over there if the cuts keep coming.

Take care,

Jim

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Nice finds and it's always nice to pick up a silver coin or two...HH

Desertfox

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
I assumed all the clad I was finding at the beach was recent until I got a rock tumbler to knock off all the crud so I could send it through the change counter at the bank. Came up with a 1905 and 27 penny four pre 65 dimes and a 1952 quarter. I guess the lesson is check it all before it gets tossed into the tumbler.

flightseven

Oct 8, 2007
Hollywood Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab excal 1000
Hey jpotter,
thanks for the update on vero, might be goin up south of ft pierce friday, depending on what's happening with seahunter, on the shipwreck board.
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread