Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE
"Well went thru my flat buttons and found the one on the bottom of this post... it was so cruddy, just seen a hint of silver gilt on it... never cleaned up quite as nice as I thought, but it is what it is...which is a officer's cuff button from the Royal Fusiliers (War of 1812). It should look like the last picture (thanks IP for the pic)"

Managed 2 days of detecting with the boys..First day for me was slow but I picked up my pace on the second day with a total of... 33 musketballs, 1 Crusty War of 1812 button, sword (dagger) piece, arrowhead, 8 copper coins mostly crusty, 2 bale seals, folded lead buzzer, 2 thimbles and 2 early spanish coins (pistareen and a quarter pistareen)... sorry the pics don't do justice to the spanish coins..

Attachments

• 1737.jpg
    1737.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2,563
  • Span3.jpg
    Span3.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 2,562
  • Span1.jpg
    Span1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,538
  • Span4.jpg
    Span4.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,537
  • GROUP.jpg
    GROUP.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 2,500
  • Arrow.jpg
    Arrow.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,473
  • Royal.jpg
    Royal.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,494
  • seal2.jpg
    seal2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,531
  • seal1.jpg
    seal1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,526
  • officer.jpg
    officer.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,429
  • fus.JPG
    fus.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,430
  • 1999_2010_finds_006_2.jpg
    1999_2010_finds_006_2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Re: My finds with Iron Patch and Ironhorse

Thanks for the envy moment, and the Pics are just superb, both sets. When I read Iron Patch's earlier post with him all gushing about your find I was looking for it, but didn't find your post then. Now I return a few hours later and you've already made the banner without even my vote.

Congrats on a great find.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Congrats on the finds. Iron Patch, you did good with the photos!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Fantastic looking Coin :o :o :o Great pictures as well :headbang: I also like the pictures IP posted :) but could somebody buy him some hand cream...poor guy :D :D

SS

I'd rather a beer.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250

Iron Patch was right...... You had the finds of the day !!! I dream of old silver, you live it !!!

Very nice and congrats on the BANNER !!

VPR

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I brought back some of these from Spain, but I never heard of "Pisterean"
What is that ?
We always just called them 2 Reals and that other is a 1 real or half real...

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on The Banner! It truly belongs there. Hogge :headbang:

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

All I can say is WOW :hello2:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are some outstanding finds :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: - Congrats on the banner!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

You have every right to ask for banner. This pistereen should be at the top of every colonial hunters dreams. :thumbsup:
Chris

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

let's put it this way.....when I saw the pistareen...I shat this.....try and shake that loose from yer drawers

Attachments

• brick.jpg
    brick.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,595

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ironhorse said:
let's put it this way.....when I saw the pistareen...I shat this.....try and shake that loose from yer drawers

...and I picked it up and threw it at him to prevent a 3rd from being found.

When he walked into the "empty field" I looked at Ironhorse and pointed and said, good let him cool down. :laughing7: But of course he walks to one little corner and starts finding stuff. :-\

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ziphius said:
Yikes! Those are some old coins! :thumbsup: What the heck kind of site are you guys hunting?

A very old french and british site... :headbang:

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TORRERO said:
I brought back some of these from Spain, but I never heard of "Pisterean"
What is that ?
We always just called them 2 Reals and that other is a 1 real or half real...

a 2R is a pistareen, a 1R is a half-pistareen, a 1/2R is a quarter pistareen

Within the New World one Iberian Spanish coin was especially widely used, namely the debased silver Spanish two reales known in the English colonies as a "pistareen." Unlike the milled two reales (of the pillar and modified pillar series), this coin had an unstable value depending on its purity and weight (it varied from 84 to 96 grains with a fineness between .8125 and .842). In the British colonies the "lawful money" value of a Spanish colonial two reales was 1s6d so that a total of four of the two reales coins would equal six shillings (the value of an eight reales coin). However, the Spanish "pistareen" had a "Lawful money" value of 1s3d so that it took a total of five of the two reales pistareens to equal six shillings (actually 6s3d). Thus while four colonial two reales regularly traded for an eight reales coin, in practice it took five two reales pistareens to equal an eight reales coin.

Fortunately, the English colonists could readily identify the Spanish "new plate" silver like the pistareen from the Spanish colonial pillar silver. The "new plate" silver had the crowned heraldic Hapsburg shield on the obverse while on the reverse was a cross with the Castile and Leon shield, thus these coins were known as the "cross" reales (and cross pistareens). In 1772 the design on "new plate" coins changed to an obverse with a portrait of the ruler and a reverse with the crowned Hapsburg shield (minted 1772-1851), these coins were known as a "head" reales (and head pistareens). Unlike the new world reales these coins were not given legal tender status in 1793, nevertheless "new plate" coins, especially the pistareen, circulated in the United States into the early 1830's. Although not official coinage, these pieces filled a need specifically because of their inferior quality. Unlike milled coinage they were not hoarded by bullion speculators nor was it profitable to use them for export, hence they remained in circulation. The pistareen circulated in colonial Latin America, throughout the West Indies, Florida, New Orleans, and in Canada as well as in the British colonies. It was especially prominent in the southern colonies, where cut pistareens took the place of coppers. John Kleeberg has noted the Virginia paper currency emission of July 17, 1775 was denominated in colonial shillings but issued in denominations that were multiples of the pistareen, namely notes of 1, 2,4, 6, 8, 10, 16 32 and 64 pistareens (1s3d, 2s6d, 5s, 7s6d, 10s, 12s6d, 20s, £2 and £3), with the 1s3d note actually designated in the upper margin as "a pistareen." Kleeberg noted the prevalence of the pistareen in the southern colonies and in the West Indies as opposed to its more limited use in the northern colonies from which he made the astute observation:

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
ironhorse said:

When he walked into the "empty field" I looked at Ironhorse and pointed and said, good let him cool down. :laughing7: But of course he walks to one little corner and starts finding stuff. :-\

That little field looked to good not to hold something...30 musketballs and a lead seal came out of that 20x20 section.... Hey you taught me almost too well...learned that it only takes one little pocket in a field will hold quite a few items.... hmmm you were right... :headbang:

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ironhorse said:

I was wondering what you were doing out there.... better than IP's moonwalk happy dance I guess...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
ironhorse said:

That little field looked to good not to hold something...30 musketballs and a lead seal came out of that 20x20 section.... Hey you taught me almost too well...learned that it only takes one little pocket in a field will hold quite a few items.... hmmm you were right... :headbang:

But not well enough, I'm pretty sure the site is in the next field. ;D I checked some old aerial photos and there was one huge clump of trees in the next one, had to be where a house/houses were. We'll be back very soon to check every field that's close for another great site.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats,on the Banner there Patriot! :notworthy: :hello2: :hello: You guys had a great hunt and that is a sharp looking coin you found.Have not typed with ya before but know if you are hanging with Iron Patch there will be more finds of great to come. :laughing9: :thumbsup:
Timekiller!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That coin is incredible. 1737...and looks like it was dropped yesterday :headbang:

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congratz on a beautiful old coin and a well deserved spot on the banner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread