my finds

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had my detector since January, and have been out a total of about four hours. In that time I have found about 9$ in clad,four tokens, a dog tag, A lipstick tube from the sixties, much trash, and a 1914 barber dime, 1927 walking liberty half. I'm hooked to say the least. Having trouble at these new england house foundations. Lots of rocks, roots and rubble which makes it hard to work....any suggestions? I do not have a camera at this time so no pics. Great hobby, may eclipse my passion for fishing. FFF

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sounds like you are off to a great start...Your finds are great!...Roots...hmmmm...the bane of all evil....serated digging knife .

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the new Hobby! you will deffinately enjoy it....about your situation ....What is nice about the rocks is the coins and relics don't sink as deep, the root thing well that will always give you problems ...and you know you have a good hit...What I do is sharpen my shovel before I go out digging on abench grinder! yes I know a little off the wall , but with that super sharp edge...It cuts through roots like butter....and for the debris ! you have to get to know the detector as well as you can and work through the trash or around it..... Hope this helps and welcome!!!!! seeker

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of finds for four hours! :o

And I'll go ahead and tell ya that fishing will now come in at a close second to detecting!

:D

Welcome to the forum FFF!

Nana ;)

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I must say that you're not entirely hooked if you've only been out 4 hours. I do that all at once....don't know when to stop....er....yes I do.....when the blisters come and I have to go to the bathroom beyond belief!! ;D
WTG on your finds......Keep em coming!

Happy Hunting,
Moon

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
GREAT START!!! Like above posters said, roots and rocks will always be a problem. You will learn your own work arounds, the serated digging tools help alot with the roots, I carry screw driver in addition to help with prying on the gaps between rocks. All in all I believe the aggravation of the rocks and roots will be worth the effort for you considering you are diggin in New England, alot of old history there. Good luck and stay after it, it will be worth it in the end. -Underwood

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
very very nice start,, i hear ya on the other hobbies ,,i gave up fishing and golf when i got my first detector,, and havent done eithier for 18 months now,, there are too many places to explore,, im from mass, and i checked all my old fishing holes,, we are fairly lucky as someone said to be in new england.. but treasure is everywhere,,,, you just gotta keep your eyes open........

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Great start. I use a lesche digging tool. It has a serrated side and a sharp side. It also does a good job at prying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread