My First 18K Gold Ring!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Went on a little hunt with my dad tonight at a local park. This park was new to me and right away I was digging deep 90's coins... FILL! There was also a lot of trash and iron. We basically were ready to just get out of there after only an hour of digging. Eventually we made our way back to the car after having seen one park patrol officer and two more squads roll, park, and leave. My dad had his detector put away already and was calling over to me to go. I said, "I got a signal here!" And I genuinely thought I had found a penny amongst the iron around one of the oldest trees in the park. It seemed like it was deep on the scale, maybe 6 inches. The crosshairs on the smartfind screen were hitting close to upper right, but not quite where a penny usually hits. Also, not really low enough to be considered even pull tab. So I pop up a nice clump and it wasn't in the hole at all, not even the plug... but it was right on the edge of the plug close to the surface. Luckily I didn't gouge it! I believe the stone to be a sapphire, and it looks pretty good under a loupe.

It's small, but weighs about 2.5 to 3 grams (my scale doesn't do so well on small stuff).

18k_gold_ring_092508_1.jpg

18k_gold_ring_092508_2.jpg

18k_gold_ring_092508_3.jpg

I love getting real treasure when you least expect it! This is my 3rd gold ring for the year. The others were 10K.

After I got this out of the ground, it was reading in the gold ring/pull tab area. 11-07 / 09-08

Needless to say, we stayed well until after it was dark. There was a ballgame going on so the lights were helping to keep us there as well. My dad probably won't post them, but he found a cool identical pair of diecast jets! And I think I dug at least 20 more old pull tabs hoping for another ring! At least they were old.

HH!

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always on the way back congrats :thumbsup:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
That is a BEAUTIFUL ring!!!! I'm reading posts with my son Kenny (kenny161) and he thinks so too!

Way to go!!!

HH,

Jim

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A really beautiful ring. Congrats on the stellar find.

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I was really stoked to see that 18K stamped on the ring. I think I got at least 2 high fives out of that one ;-)

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett,

SWEET!!!!!!!

FEELS GOOD !!!!!!!!

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,123
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,119
OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
maxmoney said:
Great find!!! I'm jealous....still no gold, silver, or rings
Max$$$, just keep diggin! It'll come when you least expect it. With every ring I've dug this year, I've never expected it and was totally surprised. Actually, I usually never know what it is now, I just dig and ask questions later if I need to. I got my first gold ring in the water with my ACE 250 so don't ever question a signal with the Ace, just dig and you'll be rewarded.

Bob, thanks man... that's some big thumbs up! Are you coming to the Oct. 12th hunt in DesPlaines? There's going to be a ton of people there. Check the Illinois forum for details.\

Thanks BB! It's about time I get something good. The treasures have been slow over the last couple weeks for me.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on your first 18K, it's a beauty for sure WTG :thumbsup:
Glenn

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's about time to send my detector out playing "Hot Times in the Old Town Tonight" and
call the dogs, I ain't ever gonna find anything worth a hoot.
You guys make me tired with your 18k rings and your capped bust this and your seated,
standing, flowing this that and the other thing.

Ahh, but alas!!!! You are what drives us, what makes us continue on this trek, this journey... With the hope that we too, someday will turn the one scoop, the one shovel, cut the one plug that brings us the elusive glint, the glint that makes our hearts race, our eyes widen in amazement!!

Right now a wheaty would be nice....

A very nice ring indeed!!

Mahalo,
Ramapirate

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
The next best thing to digging up gold is to be there when someone else does. And when its your kid it makes it even better. I'm glad I was there to see that beauty coming out of the dirt. WTG son! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread